I.T. Guy; New to Cars - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
New Member Introductions For new members of YourCobalt.com to introduce themselves!

1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

I.T. Guy; New to Cars

Hey guys,
I'm a prior service veteran who currently works in the I.T. industry. After my time in the Army was over and done with, I had a rough time and found myself unemployed for a period of time. My Mazda 3 got repo'd, which honestly didn't bother me TOO much, and I found myself looking for a car. I got talked into a 2010 Chevy Cobalt. Well, now I'm in a much better position and now realize...my cobalt sucks!!! So here I am, browsing for information on how to improve my car since the loan on it has crazy interest and I'm going to be stuck with it for quite a few years ahead...So...here I am and off to go post some (presumably) retarded questions! :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage

And there are no stupid questions on this site. We answer all of them, sometimes with stupid answers.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 07:18 PM
Expert

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silphen View Post
My Mazda 3 got repo'd, which honestly didn't bother me TOO much
Ya got Coby to like ya

Quote:
and now realize...my cobalt sucks!!!
Aaaaand you blew it.

Just joking of course!

I'm in an IT field as well actually. Official title's "Software Engineer." A bit fancy, but I like to hold it against my Engineering major friends that I became an Engineer before they even graduated!

Like Coby said, there are no stupid questions! I started out on this forum as a total noob, so I get where you're coming from. Any ideas on what you want to do to your Cobalt?

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthros View Post
Ya got Coby to like ya

Aaaaand you blew it.

Just joking of course!

I'm in an IT field as well actually. Official title's "Software Engineer." A bit fancy, but I like to hold it against my Engineering major friends that I became an Engineer before they even graduated!

Like Coby said, there are no stupid questions! I started out on this forum as a total noob, so I get where you're coming from. Any ideas on what you want to do to your Cobalt?

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

Oh, and welcome to the forums!
Well first, I want to make it faster. Right now I'd probably take off faster in a Prius. But I'm chalking it up to everything being stock. I've never used any EcoTech engines or default engine setups until this car, and know nothing about the insides of a car. So first things first, I want to get it to run good, and fast. I'm not expecting to get it to NASCAR levels, but I want to get it to where it will at least go when I hit the gas, lol.

Once I get it to a better performance level, I intend on working the aesthetics from there. Exhaust, body kit, etc etc.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 07:58 AM
Forum Regular

Dont worry i just joined a month ago and i like it hear 😃 but i added a cold air intake the k&n 69 series i belive for around 240 dollars and installed myself it was pretty easy and my first one to do myself as well and when i was finished the reaponse when i hit the gas was better and sounds different at high rpms a good different for me though and it added like 6hp so i got like 161hp instead of 155hp not a big improvemwnt i guess but any little vit helps 😉
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjules8949 View Post
Dont worry i just joined a month ago and i like it hear 😃 but i added a cold air intake the k&n 69 series i belive for around 240 dollars and installed myself it was pretty easy and my first one to do myself as well and when i was finished the reaponse when i hit the gas was better and sounds different at high rpms a good different for me though and it added like 6hp so i got like 161hp instead of 155hp not a big improvemwnt i guess but any little vit helps 😉
I was looking at this cold air intake:
Injen SP Cold Air Intake & Injen SP Series Short Ram Intakes Reviews

I'm also trying to find out if it's possible to pull a supercharger from the SS and install it in an LS. Been looking at some of the posts and trying to find out what is ideal and viable.

My roommate just got a Honda Civic 2016 and it runs SSSOOOO nice next to me Cobalt, so now he's giving me shit since I make 3x what he does. So I kind of want to dump some money into this and show him I don't have to buy the newest shiny thing to get a good car xD As it stands though, my Cobalt is headding to the shop today for some bent exhaust issues from getting rear ended
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 08:31 AM
Contributor

Garage
you could do numerous things, you could get an exhaust kit, a CAI kit (cold air intake), better tires, thats all fairly simple and can add a couple HP by themselves, then you get into things like turbos and superchargers, and you go off the deep end lol

The Land Shark is coming for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
His iron was too hot and to big.
Bone stock 2006 Cobalt LS Laser Blue

https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...ml#post1340434
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 08:47 AM
Expert

Garage
Quote:
I was looking at this cold air intake:
Injen SP Cold Air Intake & Injen SP Series Short Ram Intakes Reviews

I'm also trying to find out if it's possible to pull a supercharger from the SS and install it in an LS. Been looking at some of the posts and trying to find out what is ideal and viable.

My roommate just got a Honda Civic 2016 and it runs SSSOOOO nice next to me Cobalt, so now he's giving me shit since I make 3x what he does. So I kind of want to dump some money into this and show him I don't have to buy the newest shiny thing to get a good car xD As it stands though, my Cobalt is headding to the shop today for some bent exhaust issues from getting rear ended
Yeah, it's totally possible to SC or TC a base model. @MP81 and @rrob5382 have both done it, and I'm going to. Already bought the parts. It'd probably be a good idea to do supporting mods first though. Exhaust, suspension, brakes.

Quote:
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthros View Post
It'd probably be a good idea to do supporting mods first though. Exhaust, suspension, brakes.
That's the plan!

So currently looking into cold air intake, whole new exhaust system, the Trifecta tuning....then I'll start worrying about SC/TC and whether it would be worth upgrading to the 2.4L (I was told it's not worth it unless you rebuild the 2.4 and upgrade it before installing it in the car). Then from there....I don't know what else to look at, lol

Suspension and brakes seem alright for now, so they're not high priority. Unless someone knows something I dont about them, I just assumed they are what they are.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 09:04 AM
Expert

Garage
Well, I'm sorta answering your questions in all your threads, so go check out your post in the Engine Mods forum about the 2.4 swap.

As long as the brakes have plenty of life left, and have been serviced properly, you'll be alright. Personally, I upgraded to Hawk HPS pads and Raybestos rotors. The suspension on the other hand, for the base model, is just terrible for performance. Most of us have swapped to the FE5 struts and shocks with some good lowering springs. That's the struts and shocks from the Cobalt SS/TC. They perform much better than your stock FE1 struts & shocks. Also, if you want to lower it, the FE1 stuff will blow out real quick while the FE5 stuff will handle it just fine.

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

You might not want to get a tune until you supercharge it if you know for sure you're going that route. Just sorta a waste of a couple hundred bucks. If you don't boost it, and you want a tune, then definitely get the LSJ throttle body as well.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode