Wassup from the Fraer Valley! - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
New Member Introductions For new members of YourCobalt.com to introduce themselves!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Wassup from the Fraer Valley!

Hey guys, just been creeping around for a few days now and thought I'd introduce myself. Actually who really cares about me, let me talk about my vehicle. I own a barebone stock 2009 chevy 4 door automatic in ink slate metallic. I really would like to modify my vehicle but stuck in a hard place due to how much I would get for a resale. Ideally I would want to use this car as a daily, and when I gather enough money I would love to see an R33 pop up on the driveway. Anway I'm looking into mods that will be fun to do, as I don't have much car experience myself. I was thinking of upgrading to:

catback(GMPP)
CAI (K&N or Injen)
exhaust manifold(headers)
intake manifold(is it worth it?)
throttle body?
rear drums to disc
coilovers or lowering springs
strut bar?

the purpose is that when I finally get rid of my first love that I could revert it easily back to stock if needed. I don't need to build internals and certainly don't need the hassle of a turbo or supercharger. Generally speaking I want to squeak as much as possible out of the stock engine, and in more research I hope to find out how to do this.

Thanks fellas!

TwoScoops

Last edited by TwoScoops; 08-24-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 08:16 AM
Expert

Garage
Hey, welcome to the forums! Your list is looking pretty good so far.

GMPP is a solid choice for the cat back. ZZP is a good second choice if you don't wanna spend as much.

I've got a K&N intake available if you're interested.

For the header & downpipe, most of us will suggest the ZZP midlength header & downpipe combo. 1.5" primaries with a 2.5" downpipe.

Intake manifold is only worth it if you're trying to squeeze every single last horsepower out of an NA engine. Really though, the LAP (2009-2010) intake manifold isn't terribly different than the 2.4, so personally I doubt it'd be worth it.

Throttle body should make a bigger difference, and I've actually got a whole TB upgrade kit I'm trying to get rid of. That's the LSJ throttle body, adapter plate, and K&N intake. PM me if you're interested in going that route. One thing to note is that you'll need to get a tune otherwise you'll have idle issues. ZZP offers a tune, although a local dyno tune might be a better option.

In my opinion, rear disc conversion's not worth the hassle/cost unless you SC or TC the car. Especially if you have the 4 lug hubs, because then you'll need a whole new set of wheels too.

Coilovers are pretty expensive for an economy car. @MP81 and I are on the SS/TC FE5 struts and shocks paired with SSC/Canuck Motorsport springs, and we both really like the way they make the car handle.

Generally, people seem to agree that since the strut towers are fixed to the firewall, the strut tower bar doesn't really do much, but I went ahead and got one anyway since it's only $80 at ZZP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...

Last edited by Parthros; 08-24-2016 at 08:20 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

OK, thanks for the help. What does the throttle body come off of? I don't know much about them and how to put them on but I'd presume that they just bolt on from what I see. Is there anything else I can do to make a NA car any better besides these mods or is air flow really just the best thing here. Also If there is no point in changing around the rear axle, then should I just upgrade the front brakes? I was thinking of these ones here

But I'd only do them if they were straight bolt on, and my brakes are starting to fade so this gives me a good excuse to upgrade them ;)

EDIT: Scratch that they're 5 lug XD

Last edited by TwoScoops; 08-24-2016 at 04:04 PM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 06:32 AM
Expert

Garage
The Throttle Body sits right on top of the intake manifold. It's the part where the K&N intake's rubber elbow connects. Just 4 bolts hold it onto the intake manifold. Bolt pattern is different between the LAP and LSJ throttle body, which is the reason why you'd need the adapter plate if you got the LSJ throttle body.

Yeah, aside from the fact that they're 5 lug, those are more brakes than you need for a fully bolted (all bolt-on mods) Cobalt. Just go with some higher performance pads and rotors. I've got Hawk HPS pads and Raybestos rotors, which are slightly better than stock. Also, probably just need the rears drums serviced. New shoes & drums and you'll probably be okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode