Autocross Fail!! - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
New Member Introductions For new members of YourCobalt.com to introduce themselves!

2Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Autocross Fail!!

I did an autocross with my LS Cobalt and wrecked on the first lap out! I was pushing the car just a little too hard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 08:02 PM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Welcome!

I wouldn't call that a wreck. That's actually pretty common in autocross. Eventually you'll figure out the exact limit your car can handle. It's a lot harder on a high-speed course like that.

Someone got a few shots of when I lost it on the banking years back, it definitely happens. Good tires help lessen the possibility!

Parthros likes this.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I say as long as you have fun losing control it's all good. Losing control on the highway and doing several barrel rolls not so much.
Parthros likes this.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 08:37 AM
Say What again!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
I say as long as you have fun losing control it's all good. Losing control on the highway and doing several barrel rolls not so much.
Yes, going into the grass (only a little there anyway) during a slalom is much more preferable. I remember watching a 600 HP Corn-Fed Turbo 3800 Fiero go into the grass at one of our Autocrosses...he had big chunks of turf stuck on his intake piping which was visible below the rear bumper.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Great pics! Yes tires are needed if I continue to take the cobalt out. Those cheap economy tires were really the limiting factor, the engine had more left in it.

Last edited by MSUPKR; 02-03-2017 at 03:42 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 05:15 PM
Say What again!

Garage
Yep - I was on my Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Positions - a solid UHP all-season, but in 195/60R15, still easy to lose grip with. In those pics I had everything short of my Powell Hardcore rear bar. Likewise - the car had tons more in it (given that it was such a large track, having the blower isn't an inhibitor), but those tires clearly were a huge limiting factor.

Now that I have my 18" MSRs and my 225/40R18 Dunlop Direzza ZIIs (200-treadwear EP Summer tire), its astonishing how much better it does. I put them back on in May of 2014 specifically to kick ass at Autocross - and ironically, haven't managed to take it to one since putting them on.

Autocrossing is a blast - we always had a huge variety of cars, so it was a great time.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 06:28 PM
Cobalt Master

When I get the g5 done you need to let me know where the good autocross courses are, and maybe even find a day for both of us to head out to one

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

Although you will still need to come up and hit up the drag strip with me haha
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 08:23 PM
Say What again!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrob5382 View Post
When I get the g5 done you need to let me know where the good autocross courses are, and maybe even find a day for both of us to head out to one

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

Although you will still need to come up and hit up the drag strip with me haha
The ones I ran were organized through the car club at Kettering, so they were mostly kids that went to school there. We started off at Dixie Motor Speedway, and later Auto City Speedway in Clio.

And yes - that would be fantastic if that would finally happen this year. I know I have a couple other people that would be interested as well. Lapeer is a fun/easy track to go to, but Ubly is a lot better.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 08:53 PM
Cobalt Master

At least for me, ubly also has the advantage of virtually being in my back yard haha, going to finally start actually building the engine in the next few weeks though. Shooting for having it ready to go in may
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 10:14 PM
Say What again!

Garage
It's only a 45 minute longer drive for me (1.5 hours vs 45 min - and we all know how fast one can go on M53 in the middle of the thumb!) - well worth it. Plus, if you plan it right, you'll get a good amount of fuel (aka, extra weight) out of your tank. I need to make sure I take my sub box out this time - but I also should get the brakes in a better working condition, and figure out where the hell this oil leak is coming from.

Yeah, get on that!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode