Ecotec Miata - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
New Member Introductions For new members of YourCobalt.com to introduce themselves!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Ecotec Miata

Hey guys! Just wanted to come in and introduce myself, I'm about to start an LE5 swap on my Miata. I've got an engine (pretty much a long block) from an 08 G5 with about 101k mi. I joined this forum, mainly for technical resources. I don't know a whole lot about these engines so I am here to learn.

My next immediate step is to fully dress up the motor with the needed accessories/sensors etc.

At this point I am searching for a factory shop manual. I need to inventory what sensors and stuff I need to get still for the engine. Then this should hopefully make the harness part of the swap a little easier.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Did you get the ECM out of that G5?

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I did not. The ECM is an E67 out of an 08 HHR and so as the harness.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Beamer Send a message via Yahoo to Beamer
what made you go with this swap? I ask because I had a Miata and was teasing with the thought of the LSJ or LNF.

My Gone But Not Forgotten Cobalt(s) Show off

2015 Fiat 500 Abarth | 2016 International Durastar

Check out my Youtube page
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 04:03 PM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
I've always thought this would be a great combination.

I'm assuming there aren't any real engine differences between the LE5 in the Cobalt/G5s compared to the Kappa cars (which are RWD), other than the trans?

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
There are Miatas with LS1 so the Ecotec is certainly possible.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Oops, the ECM and harness is actually from an 06 HHR. I was able to get the FSM for the harness and engine part.

Quote:
what made you go with this swap? I ask because I had a Miata and was teasing with the thought of the LSJ or LNF.
To me there were V8, V6, Ecotec and Turbo as options to the proverbial 200whp Miata final result. Many agree, that’s the sweet spot for them, but IDK, I’ve never driven one lol. I’ve only had experience with an LS3 Miata with nearly 500 to the wheel for a couple autocross events. Anyway, I wanted 200whp, reliability and instantaneous power delivery.

V8= Mainly was a very expensive, long and arduous undertaking, especially the LS platform. I’d lose the free revving/light engine feeling and the awesome 5speed that the Miata has
Turbo= Cheapest route, with a small enough turbo, turbo lag can be mitigated. Though after riding in one, it still felt like I was waiting for power to hit. Plus, I’d always have worries of blowing up or I’ll have tuning issues etc.

J35 V6= This was the route I was going to take. The kit itself is nearly 4k, and there are some issues that I was just going to live with; hood clearance/oil pan sits really low beneath the subframe/lately they’ve been having weld joint issues and harder to build power in the future.

Ecotec= Then there’s this. The kit itself was 2k, and many were finishing a basic build for under 4k (less than just the kit for the JV6 and not much more than a properly done turbo setup sans built motor). On paper, this is a much easier swap; just a change of engine mounts and trans adapter. It sits in the engine bay with very mild hood cutting (just on the inside part). With a good tune, I’ll be at around 190 whp, with a very linear delivery and low end torque. The engine is dirt cheap and can be found with low mileage (mine was $100). It’ll be like driving a Malibu daily driver type of reliability. Plus the kit itself is born out of racing pedigree.

As for the FI engines, here’s a quote from the Ecotec Miata website:

Quote:
The factory forced induction engines use a unique 8 bolt crankshaft. This would require us to make a custom flywheel, which adds considerable cost to the swap. The second issue is that either of these engines will destroy the factory Miata transmission owing to the fact that the Ecotec generates tremendous torque when boosted. And finally, the forced induction engines also carry a water to oil heat exchanger on the rear of the engine. This interferes with the frame 'shelf' at the rear of the engine bay, and also interferes with the Miata transmission bell housing. To use one of the factory boosted engines (LSJ, LNF, etc) you would have to use a different transmission, as well as notching the frame at the rear as the V8 swaps do. See our other FAQ topic for options on stronger transmissions.
Doesn’t sound too bad, but still more work. The turbo take offs from FI motors will fit right on the LE5, so boost will likely be in the near future.

Quote:
I've always thought this would be a great combination. I'm assuming there aren't any real engine differences between the LE5 in the Cobalt/G5s compared to the Kappa cars (which are RWD), other than the trans?
I think so too. Nothing but good reviews. From my understanding all the RWD applications are just converted FWD engines. So I’d assume they’re the same.
Quote:
There are Miatas with LS1 so the Ecotec is certainly possible.
Yessir, I drove an LS3 Miata for a couple autocross events, they put the car near supercar performance.

Last edited by ruckus1027; 02-10-2017 at 06:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode