Greetings from the Northern Plains - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
New Member Introductions For new members of YourCobalt.com to introduce themselves!

2Likes
  • 1 Post By clmatt
  • 1 Post By clmatt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Greetings from the Northern Plains

Hi, I just bought an 05 Cobalt 5 speed coupe base in yellow with 132,000 miles on it. I just finished restoring the electrical system to stock after removing a faulty autostart system that a previous owner had installed. I paid $2700 from a dealer for the car which is a bit more than I wanted to but I had been looking for a domestic 5 speed 4 cylinder car with manual locks and widows for a few months without finding anything. The car had a new set of goodyear snowtires on it so I went to the junkyard and found some 15"steelies from a Saturn and matched them to some touring tires for the summer months. They charged me $94.00 for 4 rims and tires and I paid another $50 to get them mounted and balanced at a little service station. My previous car was a 2010 VW Golf in white which I was afraid to work on and disliked driving so I just sold for $6000. My plan is to maintain this car and replace parts, engines, and trannys for as many miles as I can drive it. I've got AAA and I plan on insuring it with straight liability insurance. Eventually I would like to get a full electric car in few decades or so when its more practical. My backup lights don't work, my cruise control has been faulty, and my headlights have spiderweb cracks; but other than that the car runs and drives pretty well. Anyway nice to meet you all, hopefully you got some stuff to say!
Parthros likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 01:21 PM
Expert

Garage
Welcome to the forums!

Sounds like you found just the right Cobalt for what you wanna do with it. Those simple 2005 L61 engines are known around here for their reliability (other than the timing chain tensioner Coby mentioned in your other thread), and are super affordable to own. If you've got any questions, there's still a few of us around on the forums who like to help out whenever we can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 09:19 PM
Contributor

Hello to from a little deeper south. You will like the 30mi/gal mixed driving tooling along with the AC and if so inclined Cruize for those longer stretches.
@130k miles, expect to have the original shocks, struts, plugs and ignition coils and that timing chain tensioner as Parthros said.
Last year I scored one after I fixing one up. Loved it so much I had to get one. Fun to drive.
And with a little help from the forum here added a few things, adjusted a few others and most importantly....learned so much.

With just a little help, you have a 200-300kmile ride
Enjoy your Cobalt and the forum

BC

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Checked the spark plugs and they were the oem iridiums. I almost bought new NGK iridiums for $32 but decided to get the NGK nickels for $12 and they work nicely.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Pic of a harley with my cobalt reflected in the chrome:

Parthros likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode