My Cobalt is Gone but I'm Alive. - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
New Member Introductions For new members of YourCobalt.com to introduce themselves!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

My Cobalt is Gone but I'm Alive.

I had a 2009 Cobalt LS XFE with the 5 speed manual. It was a great little car. Bought it new in late 09 for $12,500.

Since it was poverty spec, I decided I was going to be a wise guy and install power windows/locks. I bought the factory service manual and went junkyard hopping. I found a wrecked 08 and pulled the interior harness out. I paid like 20 bucks for it since it was half cut, but it had everything I needed. I also took the lock actuators, window motors, and door cards. Ended up around 300 bucks. Took me a few evenings of deconstruction to pull the old harness apart and get it ready to lay over the existing wires in the car. It was pretty easy, I only made one mistake pinning the connectors. Well worth the time and effort for the next 6 years of having power doors.

7 weeks ago I was driving along and a high speed chase came off of a side street unexpectedly and hit my right front quarter. Totaled the car with 75,000 miles on it. I ended up getting almost $5000 in the buyout. I got a 17 Cruze with a 6 speed manual. https://imgur.com/eEIFMiq I was hurt in the collision. I tore my ACL and got a nice gash on the top of my head. I had just given blood and was maybe 400 feet out of my parking spot. Wear your seatbelt.

Anyway I am left with this stuff if anyone wants it, I don't want to throw it away. Pay for shipping/come pick it up and its yours. Sway bar and control arm bushings. And the FSM for 09. https://imgur.com/nOnGfqV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 09:10 AM
Expert

Garage
That's crazy! Glad to hear you're alive though!

You'll have to let us know how you like the Cruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 12:44 PM
Contributor

So glad the Cobalt protected you as well as it did..only wish it had done a better job AND saved its live too.

BC

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Were you hit by a cop car or the fleeing suspect?

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

The suspect, an unlicensed minor in a stolen car, hit me and the cops boxed him in. That's why the trooper is on my fender in the pic.

The Cruze is a perfectly cromulent A to B appliance. I feel like I've stepped up my "he drives a girl car" game with this one though. It's bright red. The turbo is so small, its cute. The reverse gate button makes me feel like I have a machine gun.

My complaints include: The cupholders are odd sized. It's hard to clutch while going through ACL reconstruction and rehab. The backup camera perspective is odd.

I like turtles.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 05:24 PM
Newcomer

I have a red Cobalt and I feel kind of the same way about that although it is a fun car to drive. (Since it was also Mom's car before I started driving it.) My head also almost touches the ceiling if I want to reach the steering wheel.

It's good to know you're alright. This looks like when I totaled my ford explorer and I had a blazer which was rear ended on our corner and the frame straightened, before I got the cobalt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode