Completely random but... (kinda long but I need opinions) - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Off Topic Chat Talk about anything your mind can come up with!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Rocket Send a message via MSN to Rocket
Completely random but... (kinda long but I need opinions)

Ok, so I realize you guys prolly wont know but I figured I'd look for suggestions here.
I ride horses as a primary hobby (the cars are actually secondary believe it or not) I work with horses and I have my own horse. My mare will be 23 next year but she acts like shes about 10 and at times 2.
Her and I used to low level event. Pretty much for those of you who don't know, eventing is a 3 stage show. You do dressage which is walk trot canter patterns, then stadium/show jumping which is you jump a course and go for the fastest time. Then you do cross country which is out in a field jumping logs, banks, water etc and is timed. In a nut shell... it's bad ass and is an amazing spectator sport.
Pics for those who are visual (all the pics are higher levels for the love of god I'm not this brave lol I jump the small stuff!):

Dressage

Stadium

Cross country

Anyways, I'm stuck. I bought my mare to retire her. She used to be my show partner at a lesson barn and i found out she wasn't being used so I bought her. She was also wicked depressed and was starting to get stiff and didn't want to jump anymore. I didn't care cuz I bought her for trail riding.
Fast forward two years, she's doing amazing. She's in great shape, she's not stiff or sore at all. Her spirits are through the roof and she's fantastic. People ask how old she is, I tell them and they just about fall over cuz they don't believe it.
I want to get out of showing cars next year and back into eventing. I was offered my friends paint horse to show but I'd have to teach her to event as she's done western all her life. She'd love it, but she's got a nasty cough.
I rode my mare tonight and jumped her over a small jump. She got so damn excited and damn near got me off (sept I'm sneakier then her and caught her before she went nuts). She LOVES to jump and she LOVES to do cross country. Like seriously... she'll be trotting around all quiet and bored like and as soon as you point her at a fence it's like she turns on and wakes up.

So, my question is... she loves jumping... do I show her again or just stick to trail riding and jumping here and there? I don't want to show a lot... like maybe two or three times cuz its expensive.
Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 07:45 AM
Contributor

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to CoffinTramp
If you both love it, then I'd say go for it. If money's an issue, then I guess trails are the next best thing. But if you're gonna be getting back into eventing, I'd say let her do a few with you before retiring her. We had a Tennessee Walker about her age, and she was super-smart but mom really wasn't up to her level. So they spent a lot of time with Myrtle basically babying my mom and giving her an "are you kidding me?" look. It was funny.

If you've got the resources, I'd say go for it. She sounds like she lives for it!

has basically dropped off the face of the planet... moved and still havent had internet installed at the new place
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Rocket Send a message via MSN to Rocket
Her and I are about bang on level wise. I could prolly move up but I'm happy with the level we would compete at. I do it for fun

I'm def thinking maybe showing her next year. If I can get her in shape enough to maybe go school cross before the snow flys that would give me a better idea. Either that or I'll go make my own cross jumps out on the trails... hmmm... lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode