Need Help About Paint - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Off Topic Chat Talk about anything your mind can come up with!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Need Help About Paint

Alright do I posted this in here instead of int&ext because this isn't for a cobalt...I have a buddy that just got a primed fender in for his silver eclipse and he wants mr to spray it...my question for all the guys who paint cars is should I blend it or not...and if soo how far back should I blend the color as well as the clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer View Post
no b to b's when you're in the v and the a.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 01:59 PM
Forum God

Using rattle can or paint gun?

Dropped Carbon Fiber SS, Project JDM

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Expert

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Eyesore
if the whole fender is primed u can't blend it, u have to base the whole fender...if u mean blend into the door I would blend unless if its black or white...its no fun trying to butt a colour that isn't black or white
EDIT: seen just now when I reread it, its silver, I'd blend into the door...base the door about 2 inches away from the fender, clear and blend the rest...u may need to hi-light it after but might not have to...silver is a hard colour to match cuz there is so many alternates to that colour...just look at a silver cobalt (like mine) the bumpers don't match the rest of the car because they are painted at different plants and thusly use different alternates

Magnaflow Catback, Jet Performance Chip, B&M Shift+, 8000k bi-xenon H.I.Ds, and more

Last edited by Eyesore; 09-24-2010 at 02:21 PM.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Yeah that's what I meant blend it into the door and would I have to blend it into the hood too?

---------- Post added at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailcesar75 View Post
Using rattle can or paint gun?
Gun..I'd never paint fender with a spray paint or any part of the body for that matter lol

Quote:
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 06:44 PM
Forum God

If ur asking this question then u shouldn't be using a paint gun. Take it to a professional painter. Sorry for being honest

Dropped Carbon Fiber SS, Project JDM

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 07:07 PM
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
No meant disrespect but I have to agree with cesar they would be able to match the color much better.

Please Excuse the bad picture in my sig, but my sig has a link to the new awy my car looks in a much better light

160 MPH SS/SC Cluster, Air box mod, Custom Spectre Short Ram Intake, Back on Steelies for the Winter
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

uhm i have painted auto parts before without blending and they turned out fine but i have never done it with metallic paint....just because i asked a question about blending doesnt mean i dont know what i am doing

Quote:
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 08:55 PM
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I'm not saying you don't know what your doing, I'm just saying if your questioning yourself, maybe it would be a good idea so you don't mess it up. If you took it to a paint shop some of the painters are nice enough to help u with what you don't understand yet.

Please Excuse the bad picture in my sig, but my sig has a link to the new awy my car looks in a much better light

160 MPH SS/SC Cluster, Air box mod, Custom Spectre Short Ram Intake, Back on Steelies for the Winter
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 09:52 PM
Contributor

Garage
idealy blending all adjacent panels would create the best color match (hood,door, bumper, a pillar post). Given your lack of experiance, id stay away from the hood if you can. You can probably stay away from the post and bumper as well. blending the door will be fine. you should try spraying what they call a "drop blend" across the door. Basically painting half the door diagonally. for example if its the passanger side door your color will ALMOST reach the far left bottom corner and just before the mirror closest to the fender. CAUTION: DONT SPRAY DIAGONALLY. what i mean is dont spray from the mirror to the bottom corner in a line.... start at the top of the door and go right to left to kind of "fan out" the line

silvers tend to have dark sidetones causing them to look darker than they really are. also to add to what eyesore said about bumpers, rather than the alternates being an issue, colors tend to appear different depending on the material for example bumpers, fender flares mirrors etc...can all look different cause theyre plastic, where the metal panels look better to eachother. ive done cars where i finished a whole side and the bumper looks different than the fender, even though i used the same paint the same time i was spraying the fender... so things happen.

and no matter how obvious it is or how much you think you wont do it... DONT HIT THE MIRROR , not when your puting the base down and ESPECIALLY with the clear... and if the silver starts looking cloudy or "mottling" (basically like black clouds or streaks in the paint) then try pulling the gun alittle further away from the panel or speed up the pass... silver is a PIA definatly not a good starter color lol

any questions feel free to ask... take your time and be careful use your brain and it should go fairly easy. good luck and post pics when your doin it
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 09:54 PM
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GBALT05
the paint man himeself ^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode