Why Buy a Hybrid? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Off Topic Chat Talk about anything your mind can come up with!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Expert

Garage
Why Buy a Hybrid?

Ok im a little confused...why in the hell does ANYONE buy a hybrid. This is somewhat a rant/rave but more of an informative thread. Hybrids on average cost 3500 to 8000 dollars more than their base model counterparts. Well i was really bored all day (result of a tension headache) so i decided to sit down and come up with some somewhat real world numbers. Im gonna use the Toyota Corolla and Toyota Prius as examples. All of these figures are based on a commute of 50 miles (25 miles to and from destination).

Toyota Corolla
Price: 17350
MPGS: 26/34
Gas Used*: $5.44/$4.16 - Average: $4.8

Toyota Prius
Price: 28070
MPGS: 51/48
Gas Used*: $2.77/$2.94 - Average: $2.85

Alright, well if you figure a monthly payment of 325/month it would take 53months to pay off the Toyota Corolla and 86 months to pay off the Prius; a difference of 33 months. So basically it would take 33 months more of montly payments till the difference is made up. Now for the interesting part; taking into account the current average price of gas in the United States ($2.83), if u save $1.95 a day for the 33 months of extra car payments, you save $1,956. A difference of $8,769. Not much of a difference at all. You're paying $8,769 dollars more for a prius, even with the better gas mileage.

So i guess my question is Y? Y in the hell would you buy a hybrid. Im sorry to break the bad news but ur not helping the environment, if anything you're doing worse for it. The amount of damage caused by the production and transportation of batteries used in todays electric/hybrid cars causes a hugely greater amount of damage to the environment, completely negating the ONE reason you decided to spend a larger amount of extra money on the car in the first place. So what are the other reasons? Less power? Same body style if not uglier? Completely circular rims? A badge on the back, allowing you to pretend to be "Environmental Man!"? Coming closer to your tree humping friends? Or maybe a green leaf pin that you can put on ur jacket to carry around work?...i just dont get it.

Edit2: And lets not even get into maintenance costs. Replacing the batteries in your hybrid could cost $5-$10k dollars. And when you have two different operating systems that also include the operating systems joining the two, you have doubly the repair/maintenance as a standard car.

And i know many of ya'll will understand like me that having a car paid for is a million times better than paying for a car for almost 3 more years...

Discuss/

*Based on total miles divided by MPG.

Edit: This is a continuation of the thread about the new Chevrolet Volt. Someone on there blamed manufacturers for all this foolishness, and this thread is meant to show that it is the idiocy of the American public, not of the manufacturers, that any of these cars are being produced. If it wasnt for ignorant people in the US, manufacturers would stick to making cars the right way.

07 Laser Blue LT Sedan
My Car Domain:http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3805600
4 Doors = More Whores

Last edited by bsbllscnd970; 10-15-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 08:16 PM
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Rerun that with my mpg and see what happens. You can leave out the fact that I paid $7,500 for my balt, and use a base price. It really makes no sense then. Hybrids are a way for people to get decent mpg and still drive around like Mario Andretti. That's it. Any car made today can get good mpg, people just drive the wrong way to do so.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 08:17 PM
Contributor

Garage
Some of them get tax write off's too....

LIVE LOVE BURN DIE

My Sig thanks PADLOCK
No one knows what is going on! Its just a simple answer with a complex conclusion
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 08:20 PM
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Yeah, I should get a tax write off damn it.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 08:26 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will mpg View Post
Rerun that with my mpg and see what happens. You can leave out the fact that I paid $7,500 for my balt, and use a base price. It really makes no sense then. Hybrids are a way for people to get decent mpg and still drive around like Mario Andretti. That's it. Any car made today can get good mpg, people just drive the wrong way to do so.
Actually Top Gear ran a BMW M3 and a prius on their track as fast as the prius could go and all the BMW had to do was follow it. The Hybrid got ~16MPG and the BMW got ~20. So actually everone should buy a M3, I would be quite alright with that though.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Expert

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck0781 View Post
Some of them get tax write off's too....
1. Tax write offs of Honda and Toyota have been nullified as of April 1, 2009. So per my example, no they dont.

2. Many times tax write offs are required to be payed back when you sell your hybird. So you get a tax write off, and then once you sell the car you get ur tax return back and you owe the gov't thousands of dollars more.

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow591 View Post
Actually Top Gear ran a BMW M3 and a prius on their track as fast as the prius could go and all the BMW had to do was follow it. The Hybrid got ~16MPG and the BMW got ~20. So actually everone should buy a M3, I would be quite alright with that though.
lol yea, that was an awesome episode. Did you know for the price of a Nissan Leaf or Chevrolet Volt you could buy a 2010 Cadillac CTS, Nissan 370z, BMW 1 or 3 series, Lexus IS 250, or Mercedes Benz C300. lol

07 Laser Blue LT Sedan
4 Doors = More Whores

Last edited by bsbllscnd970; 10-15-2010 at 09:33 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 08:46 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbllscnd970 View Post
lol yea, that was an awesome episode. Did you know for the price of a Nissan Leaf or Chevrolet Volt you could buy a 2010 Cadillac CTS, Nissan 350z, BMW 1 or 3 series, Lexus IS 250, or Mercedes Benz C300. lol
When I heard the Volt was 40K I about thew up, can chevy really charge that much and expect people to buy this car? I would go out and buy a 370Z and the left over money could buy the PREMIUM fuel it requires.

How much it that Ariel Atom again?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Expert

Garage
Scratch everything i typed. im a moron lol. i have a sinus infection, tension headache, and fever of 103.2 and im on 4 different medications. needless to say im a lil loopy and cant do math. give me a fe mins and ill re-do it lol

07 Laser Blue LT Sedan
4 Doors = More Whores
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Contributor

Our base Balts are close as a Hybrid you can get. I see no point in a Hybrid. Not to mention I got more hp, slighty better mpg and lighter weight than a Corolla so no complaining here.

2010 Cobalt 2LT Victory red Coupe
Mods: Tinted 50% ceramic all around, factory spoiler, 2008 LE5 2.4 Throttle body, GMPP Intake, Walker stock exhaust system (back to silence), TruBendz/MBE 2.5" catted Downpipe, HP Tuners by Chenry Motorsports, Alpine CDE-151 with USB port, Rockford Fosgate 300-10
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 01:21 PM
Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbllscnd970 View Post
1. Tax write offs of Honda and Toyota have been nullified as of April 1, 2009. So per my example, no they dont.
I don't know about federal tax credits, but state tax credits for buying Toyota or Honda hybrid vehicles didn't end at that time. My family bought our Highlander Hybrid in late summer of 2009, we got a cash for clunkers rebate from the federal gov't, and a tax credit from the State of Oregon for buying a hybrid (Oregon stopped offering that particular tax credit on Janruary 1, 2010).

Portland's SS wannabe

'08 Cobalt LS coupe: Check out my showoff thread!
K&N Typhoon Short Ram Intake
Raceline 17" Type 126 rims
Shift boot stitching mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode