State to State Question - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Off Topic Chat Talk about anything your mind can come up with!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Banned

State to State Question

ok i moved to texas for certain reasons from ohio and in november its time to get a new sticker/tags. but i plan to move back to ohio in jan or feb. does anyone know how long sum1 has to get everything switched once they move into a state? or can this be considered visiting since my mail isnt sent here? i am moving back soon so id hate to pay all the cost here then turn around and pay it there also. i have contacted the department of transportation hopefully they can give me info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 09:58 PM
Cornier Than Ethanol
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Is your place of residence in your name right now? If not, you can always just say you're visiting, since you have no address on file in TX.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Banned

no i live with my dad at the moment. my actual address is still in ohio but i have them send me the mail here is all only thing im worried bout is i got insurance here cause it was easier to pay for it and iv been working here also so when i send in my paper work there going to see that its coming from texas and going to wonder why that is?
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 10:53 PM
Cornier Than Ethanol

Garage
Yeah, that could be a bit tricky. The local DMV is gonna be your best bet.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned

well iv read info on it as far as i know from it it says i need an emissions test which an inspection sticker to be driving here but as far as my tags and license i can easily say im visiting since my perminent address is in ohio but hopefully they dont say nething about me working here but if they new the situaion theyd understand why .... maybe never know about ppl in this world
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 11:24 PM
Cornier Than Ethanol

Garage
Yeah. I guess you can be lucky in the fact that if you're ever pulled over, you don't have to tell them you work there. You being insured there instead of OH could be the issue though.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Banned

how will it effect anything? when i send in to get my new sticker i dont think they check it
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 11:39 PM
Cornier Than Ethanol

Garage
I guess it varies by state. IL is big on using insurance at the DMV, for titles, licenses, etc... I guess I'm thinking more if you get pulled over though (knock on wood). THe TX police probably wouldn't like it too much if you were licensed in one state and insured in another and it could be problematic. But, if the OH DMV won't make you prove ins. then you should be fine to register there.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 06:08 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to finnscobalt
If it is only for 3-4 months you can say you are ony visiting, college students do it all the time. Military is a differetn ball game. However, depending on what kind of job you are working also dictates if you should change your tags. I have been where I am at for 7 months now and have only changed tags and I am keeping my insurance where it was at to save money.
One of my previous moves, I went 6 months before I changed states, and that was with my wife working AT the police department. Just pay the insurance and tags online, and your tag in enough time to get the new sticker in Texas.

sig pic courtesy of GBALT05
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 06:36 AM
Cornier Than Ethanol

Garage
I thik he's trying to avoid getting a TX sticker and then an OH one again in a few months. Even if he hears bad news from the DMV, he doesn't have to tell them who he is, so he won't have to commit to anything. It would be better though if his ins. listed the OH address.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode