Some Life Decisions - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Off Topic Chat Talk about anything your mind can come up with!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Some Life Decisions

OK everyone I'd like your opinion on something. I'm currently in college right now working towards a chemistry degree. It's my first semester. Thing is, I have a car payment and can barely pay it with the amount of hours I get. I don't have rich parents, and they are also struggling, and they pay my insurance and phone bill. So I hate that. I really would like to help them out and take that stress away from them by paying for my own things. I was thinking of taking a year or two off college and making some real money to pay off my car and pay for my own stuff. I could build up my bank account then come to school when I don't have to worry about money. I got scholarships and loans so I dont need to pay anything as I go to school, but I would still like to make more than $130 a pay , and help my parents out. What do you guys think? Take a little while off to straighten out my life? or continue to struggle through school? Now I know this decision is mine, but its still nice to hear opinions.

2005 cobalt base model coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 01:44 PM
Cobalt Master
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Quarter Winner
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

To be honest, finish school that way you could make even better money to support yourself instead of doing it later.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Well I'm a parent and that's what parents do until we can't anymore. I have 2 in university, I each bought them a car I pay for insurance and their gas plus tuition and lodging. It's expensive but I manage and I don't stress myself over it. They will eventually graduate and fly on their own. They both say they'll pay us back but we don't expect it. My youngest got herself in a student exchange program for her last semester. In France of all places, so flight tickets, tuition, apartments and groceries not to mention the wine.

So buddy hang in there you'll be fine get a second job if you have to, one that doesn't conflict with the first. Save where you can, eat Kraft diners and beans, drink water instead of beer or pop. IF you sacrifice a little bit your parents will appreciate that you're doing your part.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 02:32 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerForum Regular

ive been through that situation and lets say I didn't make the right choice thinking the same way you did.. if I could go back and fix it I would.. but honestly stay in college.. it will be tough but at the end it will be worth it. You will have a better paying job and have more chances in life.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Yeah, I have till December to think on it. My parents do appreciate me trying, I just hate that i can't really support myself. I only owe a few thousand on my car, if I worked for just a few months I could get it paid off

---------- Post added at 12:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

And for a while I did have a second job on the weekends doing roofing, but now that it's colder we stopped.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 02:53 PM
Gawd of Thunda!

Send a message via Skype™ to SpeedyCobalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanman35 View Post
Yeah, I have till December to think on it. My parents do appreciate me trying, I just hate that i can't really support myself. I only owe a few thousand on my car, if I worked for just a few months I could get it paid off

---------- Post added at 12:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

And for a while I did have a second job on the weekends doing roofing, but now that it's colder we stopped.

stay in school college chicks are awesome!

2005 Stealth grey metallic 2DR Standard Base Model
2006 Burnt Orange 2DR Standard SS
MY SHOWOFF THREAD

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 03:10 PM
Cobalt Master
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Quarter Winner
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Believe me they want you to stay in school more the go get the job and to try to go back to school...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyCobalt View Post
stay in school college chicks are awesome!
So is my girlfriend ;) lolll

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 05:42 AM
Forum Regular

It's harder to make yourself go back to school than you think. I graduated about 4 years and am just now going back and taking classes at night... It'll be easier to just tough it out now than try to go back...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokymaru View Post
It's harder to make yourself go back to school than you think. I graduated about 4 years and am just now going back and taking classes at night... It'll be easier to just tough it out now than try to go back...
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I still don't know what I'm gonna do. It all depends on whether or not I get the classes I need

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode