Help Your Pal Swanman with Life Decisions - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Off Topic Chat Talk about anything your mind can come up with!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Help Your Pal Swanman with Life Decisions

Ok, friends. This may end up being long. Well as you may know I am in college now for chemistry. I am a sophomore right now... I better lay down the whole backstory lol. ok, I work full time, at a very stressful job to pay my bills. I go to school full time, for a stressful major. I CAN afford the things I have, so it's not a money thing. Well the more I get into school the less I like it. I do enjoy chemistry, but that's it. I am actually a pretty smart person, and I am a very hard worker. I am usually the hardest worker in the room. So I was offered a job that makes a whole lot more money than I make now. It actually pays about the same as I would get after entering the work force after school. So being that I am stressed out, and not really enjoying school I have been thinking about this. I don't want to spend another 2 yearsstudying something I don't enjoy, then possibly not liking it when I get a job and wasting all that time. So I was thinking about trying out this job offer, and IF I DONT LIKE IT maybe going back to school for something else.. possibly mechanics or something. I'm 19, so I have my full life to learn and do new things. This isn't really a money thing, more for happiness. I just wanna hear what you guys, who have faced decisions like this did.. or what you think. I know many people who went to school and don't even have jobs in their field. Or thos who went and regret it.. but I also know those who didn't go and regret it. But my thing is that I DID go, and don't like it. Isn't that what life is about? learning from experience? Please don't give me the "finish or you'll regret it" line.. because if I do regret not finishing.. I can go finish lol. There is no timeline to follow for life, I can go bac when im 50 if I want to. Give me your opinion on WHY i'll regret it if that's the case.. or why you think I should pursue other options.

sorry for the length.. haha.. thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 10:49 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerContributor

Garage
If you don't mind me asking, what is the job offer?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
YOU're really the only one that knows for sure. If you're miserable, change path, life is too short. Take that job and night classes or on-line but don't be miserable, You might regret it, then again it might be the best decision of your life.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
you said it yourself, you can always go back, i left college at 18 after the first couple months because i just straight up disliked anything to do with school. Now i'm actually planning to sign up to classes next week since i feel like all that hate has passed and i actually feel like i wanna go for me not for anyone else (it was for parents before). and i'm only 23. I agree with Coby, don't make your life miserable do what you feel is right

WA636R - Switchblade Silver Mt 09 Sedan LT 2.2L LAP......Auto!

MODS:Fe5 TC Shock + Struts\Moog Endlinks\YYZ V1 Springs\SC Gunmetal Wheels. Badmab Shorty Header\GMPP Performance Exhaust\ZZP 2.5 Catted DP\K&N Drop-in filter\High Flow Intake Tube. Gen4 Headlights\6K Low Beam HID\LED 3rd Brake Light\LED Turn Signals,Plate,Trunk, Dome, Reverse, Side-marker\ Debadge "LT" & GM fender badges\Shorty Antenna

Join YC.com on Facebook! Like YC.com on facebook too!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

See that's how I feel. I went for my mom. She's like all mad cause I said I might leave school for now. Also the job is in the courthouse. Tax assessment. I'd be making about 40,000ish starting out. If I went for my 4 year degree and got hired as "chemist" I'd make about 45,000/year starting out. Obviously both have room to move up, chemistry being the one to make more after many years. A lady I work with now also works there, but she is getting promoted to chief assessor and there will be openings.. she offered me the spot. She knows my work ethic is good. And then doing that opens more doors later if I decide to leave there.

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

Also ivwork at a sheetz now making $8.75 and like $15,000 a year. And I have never been late on a bill.. so there is definitely gonna be extra money, and I'd like to invest
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 11:52 AM

Garage
That is a pretty go salary for 19 years old, and you could always work full time and try a night class or 2 and finish up your degree whenever. My brother is planning on doing that he is in a similar situation, he hates school right now and has a pretty good job lined up.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Yeah, I don't see why my mom is flipping out. I could have my car paid off in no time and just invest my money to make my money work for me. Lol if I do decide I wanna go back to school, there is nothing to stop me
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 12:01 PM

Garage
My parents did the same thing to him they flipped out on him. They just want you to finish, my parents have the idea that no one cant get a good job without a degree.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Yeah, same here. My dad makes good money, no degree.. but it's my mom. It's not that she can't have a good job, it's that she never pushed beyond the limit to achieve something
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 12:19 PM

Garage
Its a tough choice but it comes down to what you want to do, you can always go back to school later people do it all the time haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode