Hello everyone, I just thought Iíd give you all an update on our 1969 V8 convertible beetle project. I know itís been a while, but my overtime got cut at work, so money has been tight and progress really slowed down.
Now my job is picking back up a little and Iím also going to sell our 1966 beetle to make some money for the project so hopefully Iíll have more progress to share with you all before too long.
Basically Iíve got the old th350 trans swapped out for the 200R4 that I bought for the beetle, I got the engine positioned where I want it, and I got the drive shaft in the car. I think my next step is going to be making a new transmission cross member. I already have a 6í-7í long section of 2x4 tubing left over from building a hovercraft trailer that I should be able to make work, so Iíll get that made up when I get the time.
Iím also working on adding a links/resources section to my site. I figure Iíll put up some links to the groups I read and where Iíve been buying parts, etcÖÖ If anyone bought stuff for there projects from a websites/ business with good prices, service and/or good products let me know and Iíll throw a link up there
Below are some pictures of what little progress I have made, I also have more pictures up on my website at ZB Hover Creations Main page- ZBHC Inc, ZBHC personal pages, Wood working, and VW Beetle pages
just click on the beetle banner, and the new pictures are in the engine/trans section.
On to the pics:
Here is the 200R4 trans in the car. I was just using the 2x4 to temperarly sit the trans on. This transmission is also a little more narrow than the th-350 so that should help with foot/leg room in the car when it done.
Here I still had the engine sitting in the V8 S-10 position until I decided where I wanted it.
You can see that the engine is sitting to far forwards. I was thinking that I could move it back around 4-6" without to much trouble. I figured it would give me more room for a radiator up front, take some weight off of the front end, and hopefully still not sacrifice too much foot/leg room.
About the only problem I could see with moving the engine backwards was going to be the mechanical fuel pump. Its going to end up hitting the old engine mounting area if I move it back to far. But an electric fuel pump will be an easy fix for that.
Next I was going to worry about the drive shaft. I didn't want to get the engine set in what I though would be the perfect spot and then when I got a driveshaft have to move it an inch this way or that way. At first I was planning on having the S-10 drive shaft cut down and welded to the lenght I wanted.
I had a 2 piece drive shaft from the C20 truck engine donor, and the rear half of that drive shaft was just the right lengh if I moved the engine back 6Ē. It ended up working out perfectly!!!
The engine looks much better moved back 6Ē. This should really help with getting a radiator to fit up front, and also with tucking an air cleaner under a stock hood. I may still have to get a lower mount for the alt. but we will see
Eventually I'll have to cut the extra off of the front of the S-10 frame
I even think I'm still going to be able to use the engine mount adaptors I made, I just had to swap sides, that way the adaptor pointed forwards instead of towards the rear. If not it was free steel and I have some more left so I can re-do them if need be.
I am a bit close to the upper control arm bushing and shaft bolt, but A little grinding on the adaptors should take care of that.
Well thatís all I have for now guys, hopefully it wonít be as long until my next update.
Talk to you all later