ShadowGLI / 2006 VW GLI / Leominster, Ma - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Other Cars Talk about cars other than the Chevy Cobalt here

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

ShadowGLI / 2006 VW GLI / Leominster, Ma

Well apparently I should have this thread..haha

So in October of 2006 I meandered into a local VW dealership with a terrible POS of a 2000 VW Golf GL (see : 2.0L 8v, base of base models with lots of problems). Go in with the intent of test driving some 4 door mid sized new VW's.

I test drove a 4 door White Rabbit 5spd with moonroof and heated seats.. quite the car, but I really wanted a boot.

Then comes the Dark Gray fully loaded GLI. Leather heated seats, Moonroof, 6spd, dual zone climate controls.. mmmmm great car, not my color... test drove and realized the extra 50hp and torque was pretty nice and I wanted a trunk... I was up for a 2.0L turbo Jetta... but I didn't want leather.. "I'll special order a white or black VW Jetta GLI in manual" I told myself... "Do you have any of the cloth interiors on the lot, so I can see before I order my car" I tell the salesman. "Yes, we have one over there, the blue one." he says back.

as the salesguy runs his over cologne'd ass into the dealership to get the keys I travel through the parking lot to the Shadow Blue shimmer of a package 1 (moonroof, regular climate controls, no leather) GLI (Sport model of the Jetta.). He comes back and I comment on how I actually like the color. He states that as it was a leftover 06 and the 07's were coming, the dealership could probably work out a favorable deal for me. I get into "what kind of deal" they could offer and turns out, I got my $27 sticker car for about $23,000 when all was said and done (as well as getting a $4,500 trade on a $2,000 value car, his fault for not going outside to look at it first..)

Anyhow, so turns out, even though it's got the new VW DSG transmission (dual clutch, as in Evo's, Skylines, Etc) I was in love. It was the right price, the right color, and didn't come with a 10 week wait.

Thats how it all began. stay tuned for future chapters.

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

first picture :

At that point I brought home my new Tiguan... err I mean GLI. Sorry the stance threw me off.. ;)

I was quite content with my new purchase. But with me being me, I had an immediate agenda. I needed
-Lower it
-to swap the XM for Sirius
-get rid of the stupid bumper markers
-get rid of the stupid mirror markers
-lower it

So in the freezing cold of New England in December or so, I got my first mod purchase for my car.
-Poly Motor Mount insert to crisp up motor movement
-smoked Mirror markers
-Neuspeed Sport Springs (1.25"F/1.50"R drop)
-Open Fog light Grilles

so much better

I then drove that for the winter and come March, decided the car needed some better wheels to really look right. also threw in some bumper markers.

Holy smokes, winter already... mix it up, paint the stockers..haha

then its summer again... how bout we add coilovers and wheels.. mmmm much lower..

and then from GLI to regular Jetta (new grilles)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

definately could have been lower

what a summer... lots of loud bangs but it looked good.. lol...
ahh crap, it's really winter again.. well up with the coils and on with new winters

whew.. that was messy..

and back to summer you say.. time for NEW coils and more low

too bad I wanted 19's and it looked really wierd at that height. front stayed, rear came up and add some Carlssons. Also added a new grille to match.

Rocked that for the summer, lost a tire in in the fall. So back to the stocks and some more new paint..

as well as new fog grilles as well, this time golf GT's. Oh and Lost another tire, so now I'm on some S4 Avus wheels,

just for a touch more until I can get my new babies on there.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Veteran

Garage
Send a message via AIM to G5Steven
Man, looks nice, but How do you afford all those rim changes if you don't mind the question?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 04:20 PM
XFE
Wootsauce!
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to XFE
Sick ass ride man!

PS: Moving this to "other cars" forum. Only because we use the "vehicle showoff" links for YCOTM. If you have any questions on why I moved it just PM me.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 07:52 PM
Expert

nice nice... i love euro,, my bros got an 08 gli.. i like them

just hate STUDDED lug nuts

mods... tinted taillights, 1000 watt alpine mono amp, 2 10 inch alpine type "r" subs, basspro slot ported box, xm radio, alpine 6x9 rear speekers, alpine 6.5 front speekers (both type "s",09SS front bumper and lip,black factory headlights, 12k foglights, 10k headlights, slp catback,fe5 suspension with sportlines,black carpet, painted plastics (black) huge custom pink monster sticker... and ofcourse.... BLACKED OUT!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 07:53 PM
Forum God

Looks nice!

2006 Cobalt: Bolt On's
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by G5Steven View Post
Man, looks nice, but How do you afford all those rim changes if you don't mind the question?
It's alot cheaper than you'd think. the most expensive wheels I've purchased to date were the first set I had (spokey style w/ polished lips) those were ~1,200 new, then from there, I've traded, borrowed, sold and haggled my way into everything. the most recent set I'm running only set me back $1,000 with like new tires (the prior owner payed $2600 last august.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltxfe09 View Post
Sick ass ride man!

PS: Moving this to "other cars" forum. Only because we use the "vehicle showoff" links for YCOTM. If you have any questions on why I moved it just PM me.
No worries, I felt weird putting it there anyhow, I just added it as it was suggested in the "introductions" forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakdOut07LT View Post
nice nice... i love euro,, my bros got an 08 gli.. i like them

just hate STUDDED lug nuts
Tell him to chip it! greatest mod ever. 50hp/75ft/lbs for ~$500... and I get better gas mileage.haha

and yes, I hate them too, makes running different wheels annoying as you have to have multiple lugs but the benefit is you can run 5x112 or 5x114.3.

I also feel like I'll fit well here as I have seen alot of people VERY angry at the prospect of stretching tires.

I know both sides of it, I used to have a 92talon that I drag raced and such, that was more power, more tire, fast fast fast... this car is an "I need something that will start every day, its not a race car, i never intend for it to be a race car, I want it to look nice, be peppy and be able to cruise"

So at this point is basically some minor cosmetic mods, a chip, drop in filter, boost gauge, some minor engine mods to improve turbo spool, coils and wheels.
but thank you guys for the welcome.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Veteran

i sat in a 07 turbo gli..the seats are to DIE for.

NEW-http://youtu.be/0W6uc3t4V1k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU-1xzqyKBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by that07balt View Post
i'm not gay.. i'm just awesome
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 06:14 AM
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GBALT05
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

a couple pictures of my filthy car with a borrowed grille but it was still a cool spot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode