Rx8 with Four Rotor Motor - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Other Cars Talk about cars other than the Chevy Cobalt here

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Garage
Rx8 with Four Rotor Motor

Heres a video of a Rx8 with 4 rotor engines. I think mazda is the only ones who use them still. Sounds pretty good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 07:08 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I'm surprised they even still use them...

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 07:41 AM
Forum God

Garage
rotary engine=pricey in maintenance lol
Imagine swapping an MS3 motor in an RX8? i think thatd be killer

R.I.P. :(

Hello

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 07:49 AM
Say What again!

Garage
Rotarys are expensive, don't make a ton of power for the price, and don't get good gas mileage...there's a reason 99% of cars don't have rotaries...

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 07:59 AM
Get Out The Sawzall
Staff AlumniCobalt Master

Garage
Rotary's are awsome and amazing motors and if Mazda was smart they would use them in every vehicle. The 4 rotor never made it to production but was used in Mazda funded race cars, however it is not hard to convert a 3 rotor out of a cosmo to a 4 rotor and most likely what is in that RX8 is just that a 3 rotor with an extra housing, apex and custom made output shaft along with all the other internals. we have built a few 3 rotors at our shop and the boss has been working on his gen 3 rx7 for about 6 years, we built his 3 rotor from 2003-2005 a little bit at a time and as time permitted, he currently has two now. 10K rpm is nothing for these motors and power output is easy at 1200 with a single turbo and super reliable. Plus sounding like an indy car is just total badassary.

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 08:02 AM
Say What again!

Garage
Indy car? They sound like vacuum cleaners. So much so my buddy with an RX8 is going to get a license plate "Hoover"

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 09:00 AM
Get Out The Sawzall

Garage
Kyle you and i always agree to disagree
Watch the video again and you tell me if you have ever bought a vacuum cleaner that sounds like that, tell me where I can find one cause I will buy it. and the 1.3 that is in the new RX8 is a far cry from a 3 or 4 rotor. I will also disagree with you a Wankel or any of it's variations being unreliable. The only unreliability comes from people that over rev consistently or over boost and under fuel which results in usually blowing apex seals, but this is not the rotary's fault it is the person driving the car who does not know or understand that they have to care for, build, tune and service their engine differently than that of a piston engine. A rotary is just as if not more reliable than any piston engine in stock form you just have to know up front that it is a different type of machine and learn a little about how it works if you are going to mod.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 10:04 AM
Say What again!

Garage
What video.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 03:56 PM
Get Out The Sawzall

Garage
Ummmmmm the original post by the OP is a video link to a 4 rotor RX8 transplant.

That is why I was talking about 4 and 3 rotors, he said that he thinks Mazda's are the only ones who still use a 4 rotor, and I explained that 4 rotors never made it to production and that was most likely a 3 rotor converted.

Cause the only production rotary sold in the U.S. has been the 2 rotor.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Beamer Send a message via Yahoo to Beamer
Ah the rotary, the honda of motors, torqueless wonders lol.

My Gone But Not Forgotten Cobalt(s) Show off

2015 Fiat 500 Abarth | 2016 International Durastar

Check out my Youtube page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode