3000 Gt Vr4 - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Other Cars Talk about cars other than the Chevy Cobalt here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
3000 Gt Vr4

This month i will be sending in the last payment on my 2.2 ls. My plan was to get forged internals costing about 3k, and maybe turbo. Recently i found a 1993 3000gt vr4 for 5,200.
Should i make the cobalt fast or buy a fast car?
Cons for the GT: expensive to fix, bad on gass, 19 years old.
Cons on dumping money into the balt: i will need a new dd when the engine is apart, i will be relying on friends to help with the build because i know very little on the subject.
I want to hear opinions and advice. And don't hold back, i can take the criticism

Last edited by Batmobile; 09-06-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 05:04 AM
Staff Alumni

either way is going to be expensive. GT going to be beat to death. Be relying on friends either way also. Sell the balt, and take 5200 and get a newer SS
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 07:51 AM
Initiate

My friend has a Stealth and his biggest problem is finding someone who knows what they are doing with his car.
When his PCM started acting up none of the guys at the local Chrysler or Mitzu dealers could figure it out. He said he felt like he knew more about his car than the mechanics at either place.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Beamer Send a message via Yahoo to Beamer
gotta love a 3800lbs car, granted 300hp is nice and all but car is a pig. I have beaten one is my SS, granted he got a nice jump thanks to that awd but once i hit 2nd gear which was quick cause 1st is useless it was all over. I do like them cars though, if I ever got one I would probably strip the awd out and make it just rwd and strip weight elsewhere.

My Gone But Not Forgotten Cobalt(s) Show off

2015 Fiat 500 Abarth | 2016 International Durastar

Check out my Youtube page
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 10:13 AM
Forum God

I dunno, the 3000gt is old, there will be other problems that may come up like rust, suspension/other component problems, and it's not a reasonable daily driver car IMO. If you built the cobalt then turbo'd it (the reverse of what I'm doing lol...turbo then build) you can daily drive the cobalt, and it's light...and you would probably surprise people.

Plus I found some 2.2 engines near me for freaking $400!! they only have like 30-40k miles on them. If oyu could find a cheap spare engine like that and build it then swap it in, you save lots of money vs having a shop do it, and less down time. I THINK that may be the route I will be taking. Still debating.

BboyTaktix
- 2011 Plasma Blue pearl WRX STI sedan
- SOLD -S256 TURBO 2.2 -SS/TC body, SS/Tc shocks/struts, B&G springs, 17"mags, TRS FX-R retrofits (50W/6000k)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Contributor

^this,i might be looking into this as well
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Contributor

Garage
theres a couple of 3000gt's around here ... their junk..lol

09 Pontiac G5
Tinted,Debadged & Detrimed, 12k Hid's,Tinted Taillights & Side markers, 17" DR-40 wheels w/ Kumho 215/45's, CM springs..

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Contributor

but personally i think the 3000gt and stealth at least the fwd ones are complete junk. My buddy had a stealth and it blew a rod and the engine eventually siezed up and then at school we had to do some work on my teachers 3000gt and it was a nice looking car and nice to drive but working on it was a pain in the ass,we had to do a timing belt and a few other things that on other cars have taken us literally a day to do and this thing took us at least a week,pretty much my whole experaence with chrystler/mitsubishi cars havnt been great. my buddy traded that stealth and got a talon,im not sure if i ever posted pics of it with my car on here but it was a pile of junk as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode