2002 Grand Prix - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Other Cars Talk about cars other than the Chevy Cobalt here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Beamer Send a message via Yahoo to Beamer
2002 Grand Prix

So my girlfriends parents have a 2002 Grand Prix that is just rotting in their driveway. They stopped driving it because it has a few issues.

Bad Starter - easy
Possible bad wheel bearing - pretty easy if its bolt on type
Bad Catalytic Converter (2nd time)
Gas gauge is inaccurate

Given the issues and them wanting to just get rid of it I was thinking about buying it. Fixes the big ones, give it a tune up and using it as a daily than selling it or giving it back to them or whatever. Its not a GTP!!! I say that with !!!! because everyone has to ask. Nope, its just the 3800 motor and nope, I am not going to try and boost it either. Car has around 160K miles and if I was to do that than I would be throwing my money away that could go towards the cobalt or my next car.

Its white, paint might be in alright shape but they dont take care of their cars very well so I'd have to see if the black crap comes off that is all over the rear and stuff, i have no idea what it is lol

Thoughts? just figured another new thread might help some on here haha. I am wondering why it needs another cat though, as I said, its the 2nd one in about 4 years. Maybe a misfire? And the wheel bearing, not sure if that is the reason but while driving there is droning sound coming from the front. If anyone knows things about this cars by all means hit me with whatever info you got.

My Gone But Not Forgotten Cobalt(s) Show off

2015 Fiat 500 Abarth | 2016 International Durastar

Check out my Youtube page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 03:54 PM
Newcomer

I had a 2001 Grand Prix GTP.

The window regulators broke a few times and I also had to replace the front wheel bearings, but other than that, it was an awesome and reliable car for 105,000 miles.

The wheel bearing does just bolt on. There are some good guides online. Just google grand prix wheel bearing replacement.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Beamer Send a message via Yahoo to Beamer
thanks I'll check into it. Still have no gotten the car as money is just gone haha. My g/f said her parents were going to get rid of it anyway they could so I said, oh well but since its still sitting there i am hopeful I can get the money and fix it up. Too good of a car for them to basically get ripped on trying to sell to a dealer as her dad has said he would when it just needs a few things and probably all under $400 to be running around town again.

My Gone But Not Forgotten Cobalt(s) Show off

2015 Fiat 500 Abarth | 2016 International Durastar

Check out my Youtube page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode