Durango Repair and Paintwork W/pics - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Other Cars Talk about cars other than the Chevy Cobalt here

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Durango Repair and Paintwork W/pics

OK , you want before , during and after pics...here they are . per request I will do a bit of commentary too.
We will start with the right quarter panel . It had some pretty severe surface rust . I used my spot blaster to sandblast it back to white metal did some polyester glazing putty work and then primed it . Included is a shot of the area after paint,

Next lets go into the liftgate.. it had severe rust through issues . Debated on welding in a patch , but on a trip to my local salvage yard found a really nice one with nearly no rust. only problem...It's red. We can take care of that and the couple of dinks that were on the outside.

you can see the liftgate in this pic

Lets see, next lets talk about the rocker panels . These require removal of the doors.

Now let's see how bad they are.

OK... looks pretty bad . Time to cut out rust and treat the rocker backer panel with a rust convertor .

[IMG]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x412/krjrcustom1/durango/durangorusttreatedrocker.jpg[/IMG

This is the replacement rocker , kind of generic and universal but it will work with some mods .

Wont bore you with welding pics but here are some shots of the rocker welded in and also ground back for plastic work

you may have noticed all the holes drilled in the replacement panel. Those are for plug welds they replace the factory style spot welds . basicly you weld inside the hole to the rocker backer panel which will attach new panel to vehicle . you then grind them flush and do a lil' glaze work .

Well it's welded in , time to prime and paint .

I will get some better pics of rockers when i put the doors back on. Will also update this thread as I move along . I have a long but shallow dent on the right quarter panel and misc dents on the doors , mainly from other car doors hitting them...you know..door dents. pretty easy stuff. The hood and right fender are off right now . More pics and commentary to come..stay tuned . Feel free to ask questions or comment..ty Ken

Last edited by krjrcustom1; 08-04-2012 at 04:45 PM. Reason: added info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Veteran

Garage
Damn, you guys do really really good work.

So I'm guessing this truck sat in some water?
Or is that damage from road salt?

[Insert signature here]
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by white balt View Post
Damn, you guys do really really good work.

So I'm guessing this truck sat in some water?
Or is that damage from road salt?

[Insert signature here]
LOL when you say you guys you mean me...I do not have any help..Owner/Operator had one of my girlfriends relatives boy help for a few weeks over summer..but he's not with me anymore . I live in iowa which is in what we call the RUSTBELT.. in Iowa we do not do restorations we do rustorations ...no joke . In fact I wont do any old cars that are from Iowa any more . I have reached the point in my carreer where I can pick and choose somewhat.
Ty for the compliments though , I do apreciate them.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
What year Durango? Must have very low miles to bother fixing it.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Wow looks great! seeing that you do it yourself it must take some time! That rust looks about the worst I seen

Sent from my PG86100

WA636R - Switchblade Silver Mt 09 Sedan LT 2.2L LAP......Auto!

MODS:Fe5 TC Shock + Struts\Moog Endlinks\YYZ V1 Springs\SC Gunmetal Wheels. Badmab Shorty Header\GMPP Performance Exhaust\ZZP 2.5 Catted DP\K&N Drop-in filter\High Flow Intake Tube. Gen4 Headlights\6K Low Beam HID\LED 3rd Brake Light\LED Turn Signals,Plate,Trunk, Dome, Reverse, Side-marker\ Debadge "LT" & GM fender badges\Shorty Antenna

Join YC.com on Facebook! Like YC.com on facebook too!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

1998 . The fella is a great customer of mine and received the truck for free from a relative . Unlike the look of it...it runs REALLY well and does have lower miles and since it was free that makes it worth fixing . I'm putting hood scoops and some mopar type stripes on the hood and fenders. Should look nice.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 05:50 PM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by krjrcustom1 View Post
LOL when you say you guys you mean me...I do not have any help..Owner/Operator had one of my girlfriends relatives boy help for a few weeks over summer..but he's not with me anymore . I live in iowa which is in what we call the RUSTBELT.. in Iowa we do not do restorations we do rustorations ...no joke . In fact I wont do any old cars that are from Iowa any more . I have reached the point in my carreer where I can pick and choose somewhat.
Ty for the compliments though , I do apreciate them.
Dang, You do it all by yourself?
Even more props!

You can always use photos like this to make a portfolio, you do amazing work, if I lived near you and need body work or anything done is take my car to you.

[Insert signature here]
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxknight28 View Post
Wow looks great! seeing that you do it yourself it must take some time! That rust looks about the worst I seen

Sent from my PG86100
Yes it is bad. Does take a fair amount of time...been doing this for 30 years as of 2012 . Kind of second nature now , have been told I make this stuff look easy by people that have wanted to learn how to do bodywork . Had a 2 year contract teaching at the local trade college but at end of contract the state budget was low and they could not fund the program any longer
Too bad ..I REALLY enjoyed teaching the students what had taken me years to learn.
In the shop , my tendancy is to work on at least 3 cars at a time. Bodywork is alot of hurry up and wait . You know spray primer n' wait...lay down some glaze n' wait...spray some clear n' wait ..seeing a pattern? I fill in the wait time by working on other cars. Works out pretty well. Not to mention if a car pisses me off i can go work on something else

Last edited by krjrcustom1; 08-04-2012 at 05:57 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
My Mitsubishi is starting to rust now but it has 382,510KMs. I spot touch-up here and there, but soon I won't be able to keep up. And with the high miles I may not want too.

It just seems like a lot of effort to me, to rustore a Dodge. To each his own I guess.

How's the Cobalt coming along?

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Well thats it for tonight guys..gotta finish up my cherry jam and get some dinner going for the family. Take care all . I will get more pics next week. cya.

---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
My Mitsubishi is starting to rust now but it has 382,510KMs. I spot touch-up here and there, but soon I won't be able to keep up. And with the high miles I may not want too.

It just seems like a lot of effort to me, to rustore a Dodge. To each his own I guess.

How's the Cobalt coming along?
Paychecks a paycheck right? (your talking like a Iowian coby..rustore) Cobalt is doing awesome.. Robin loves it . 382k miles holy cow WOW!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode