Chevy Sonic Turbo? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Other Cars Talk about cars other than the Chevy Cobalt here

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Chevy Sonic Turbo?

So I was browsing on Sonics with the 1.4 Turbo and the performance and mpgs are pretty nice compared to the heavier Cruze. How is the performance compared to the 1.4 engine in the Sonic and 2.2 in my Cobalt? I just need ya'll to convince me to keep my 2.2

I mean, It seems to be a descent upgrade, especially that GM's working on a Stage 1 tune for the Sonic/Cruze 1.4T. And no can't afford a 26k Cruze Diesel in case you're wondering lol.

2010 Cobalt 2LT Victory red Coupe
Mods: Tinted 50% ceramic all around, factory spoiler, 2008 LE5 2.4 Throttle body, GMPP Intake, Walker stock exhaust system (back to silence), TruBendz/MBE 2.5" catted Downpipe, HP Tuners by Chenry Motorsports, Alpine CDE-151 with USB port, Rockford Fosgate 300-10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
You need me to convince you that a smaller car with only 138hp (with a turbo) is not a better deal than your balt? We have issues sir!

05 Mitsubishi Evolution 8
05 Chevy Cobalt LS (RIP 7/13/2013)
99 Nissan Altima GXE (Daily)
99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)
07 Jeep Liberty Limited (No longer the tow truck for the balt )

If you have questions and I'm not on please PM, notifications go straight to my phone 24/7.

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 08:11 AM
Contributor

hes got a 2.2 so yes its a better deal. 10000x nicer interior even for a little cheap car.

And good tunes get them near 200whp which is AWESOME in that little car.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni

Garage
^BS. how can a tune take a car that gets 138hp at the crank to 200whp? I call your bluff sir. Sure it's a bit more upgraded, it's newer. But it's still nothing compared to the cobalt 2.2. My 2.2 stock made more and now its got 168.9whp.

99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)

If you have questions and I'm not on please PM, notifications go straight to my phone 24/7.

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 08:58 AM
Staff Alumni

Chevy Sonic Turbo?

A buddy has a sonic ltz turbo. You have to realize the turbo isn't for boost like the cobalt ss one is. It's for mileage. The car is pretty sweet but its got like economy everything so its not really fast, but it does pretty well. If you buy it just wait till there are more performance parts out.

Also get the 6 speed

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni

Garage
Performance parts will only get you so far when you have 138hp stock!!

99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 09:30 AM
Staff Alumni

never stopped the Honda crowd from buying Hondas :P

I too read somewhere that with a tune they're getting about 200hp outta them. Personally if I was looking for a fuel efficient car I would prob by the cruze diesel and if I couldn't afford that then I would keep what you have because its not that bad.

Of course I like trucks and mustangs so fuel efficiency isn't high on my personal list.

That white sonic someone posted with the orange was pretty nice though. Fuel efficiency = boring, lack of mpg = FUN FUN FUN!!!

2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4, 25/33 city/hwy imp mpg.
2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni

Garage
I've heard they are coming out with some "Z-spec" or something of the sort. Mostly visual appeal, but four piston calipers, and some other suspension stuff that wasn't specified. I guess if the turbo is specifically being used for mpg and you convert that to hp you could get up to 200, but what about internal integrity. Thats a large jump for a car not ment to be a power house. Too many concerns for me.

Hondas, those guys put all sorts of crap on those things. The v6 transplant is one of my favs so far! Maybe someone will do that with the Sonic!

99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 10:58 AM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

Cliff,
If you have any questions about features on the Sonic, or want assistance locating one in your area, please don't hesitate to contact me either via private message or email (see my signature).
Sarah, GM Customer Service

Have you checked into Chevrolet Owner Center? You can maintain service history, check on warranty or recall information, and more. Visit my.chevrolet.com!
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 12:51 PM
Staff Alumni

The forum I was reading on claimed he had many 1/4mile passes and drive it hard quite often and hasn't had an issue...just forget what forum.

I've been told by Honda ppl that the k24 swap is actually better than putting in a v6 because of the weight and takes a lot less modding. I myself once thought about putting a v6 into a civic hatch, of course my dad threatened to take me out of the will and said he would start buying me the skinny leg girl jeans like all the other Honda boys wear. I changed my mind

2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4, 25/33 city/hwy imp mpg.
2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread