Buying a New Car - Need Your Opinion - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Other Cars Talk about cars other than the Chevy Cobalt here

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to ELCobalt
Buying a New Car - Need Your Opinion

Ok guys,
I sold my cobalt to my friend for $6,000 which is really cheap but I sold it to someone I know so I'm sure that he'll take a good care of my first project!

Now, I wanna buy a new car but I wanna have performance this time!

So I hesitate between a couple of cars. Here's my choice and if you have advices, comments or preferences, please share it with me. Also if I forgot to mention a car that you think it's cool please tell me as well. My budget is around 7k to 9k. I'm ready to buy a car a little more expensive if I can drive it during winter.

-Nissan 240sx s13 - Want it with a SR20DET BT as stock as possible.
-Dodge Neon SRT4 - As stock as possible... and with low mileage.
-Nissan Skyline R32 - RB20DET as stock as possible.
-Mazdaspeed 3 - I don't know this car very much... but it's turbo.
-Cadillac CTS 3.2 - MANUAL. Rare and I would need to put a lot of money into this car to have it the way I want it.
-Subare WRX 2004 - With low mileage. Dont mind about mods.
-MAYBE Cobalt SS Turbo but I wanna change I'm tired of my cobalt so I don't think it would be a great idea to buy another one.

Which car do you think will be the best for me since I want to use it as daily driver?

K&N CAI - Vibrant Catback 2,25" - 17" Voxx Wheels - Gen 2 Projector - 30,000k HIDs (Purple) - 3,000k HIDs Fog lights (Yellow) - 5% tinted windows - Eibach Sportlines - Front SS Bumper - Rear SS Bumper.

Showoff tread: https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...ec-canada.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Nissan 240sx s13 - Want it with a SR20DET BT as stock as possible.
Good luck finding one not beaten to death, this would be a 80% garauntee rebuild.
A skittle, seriously?!
A) good luck finding one B) good luck finding one for a low price
These can be fun cars. Similarly limited like the cobalt though.
-Cadillac CTS 3.2 - MANUAL. Rare and I would need to put a lot of money into this car to have it the way I want it.
What is your price range again? Didn't you only get 6k?! lol
Now you are talking
-MAYBE Cobalt SS Turbo but I wanna change I'm tired of my cobalt so I don't think it would be a great idea to buy another one.
Good point, although the interior and engine will be completely different in turn making your experience different. The body will still look the same.

Have you considered a Subaru 2.5 GT? Or maybe an RSX type S?

05 Mitsubishi Evolution 8
05 Chevy Cobalt LS (RIP 7/13/2013)
99 Nissan Altima GXE (Daily)
99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)
07 Jeep Liberty Limited (No longer the tow truck for the balt )

If you have questions and I'm not on please PM, notifications go straight to my phone 24/7.

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to ELCobalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbalts View Post
Nissan 240sx s13 - Want it with a SR20DET BT as stock as possible.
Good luck finding one not beaten to death, this would be a 80% garauntee rebuild.
A skittle, seriously?!
A) good luck finding one B) good luck finding one for a low price
These can be fun cars. Similarly limited like the cobalt though.
What is your price range again? Didn't you only get 6k?! lol
Now you are talking
Good point, although the interior and engine will be completely different in turn making your experience different. The body will still look the same.

Have you considered a Subaru 2.5 GT? Or maybe an RSX type S?
I got 6k for my car but I saved up money so my price range might be over 6k. I will check for the RSX but I don't like the Subaru 2.5 GT. For the 240sx, I found one that hasn't been beaten (I know the guy), but I want to check the frame of the car and the engine condition before. Thanks for you reply

K&N CAI - Vibrant Catback 2,25" - 17" Voxx Wheels - Gen 2 Projector - 30,000k HIDs (Purple) - 3,000k HIDs Fog lights (Yellow) - 5% tinted windows - Eibach Sportlines - Front SS Bumper - Rear SS Bumper.

Showoff tread: https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...ec-canada.html

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni

Garage
If you are looking for a weekend warrior (and I hate to say this) you might also want to consider a Miata.

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

If you can find a good condition Integra GS-R that would be titties!

99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)

If you have questions and I'm not on please PM, notifications go straight to my phone 24/7.

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Beamer Send a message via Yahoo to Beamer
Stay away from Mazda, well, boosted. They are never done right and always having to adjust things and such when you start to mod for more power. Unless you want to go crazy and build the motor you'd be better off with something like a TC balt

My Gone But Not Forgotten Cobalt(s) Show off

2015 Fiat 500 Abarth | 2016 International Durastar

Check out my Youtube page
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 09:18 AM
Levee
YourCobalt.com Premium Member
Admin

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Leveecius
95% are beaten and finding one with that engine is pretty hard.
Stay AWAY from skittles. They are not only bad for your driving experience, also bad for your health Seriously tho, don't go with a skittle, you will be disappointed.
Not going to happen with your budget.
As stated before, Like the Cobalt SS, but Much more limited than the SS. Heavier, worse suspension and looks worse in my opinion. Not a big fan of these cars and a pain to work on.
Again, not in your budget lol
Not a bad car, if it's the imprezza. Just a regular WRX (non-turbo) is no fun at all. Becareful if you get a turbo one tho, they don't have very strong diffs.
SS turbo is a fun car all around, but not very fun to try and drive in the snow (I know I owned one and I'm from MI). If I was first at the light with a little slush or snow on the ground and I took off when it was green, without hitting the gas. Traction control would come on, and I'd start spinning and I'd be the only one that made it through the light legally.

IF you want a fun car that you can drive year round with that kind of budget, look into getting like an Evo 8 (yes there are some out there going for that, and I even know of an Evo 9 going for 15 (which is cheap for them, trust me I know), or look into getting like a DSM (Eclipse, Talon, Laser). They EASILY go for under that, they are cheap to mod, and when the right things are done to them, they are actually VERY reliable and fast. They have an AWD platform (Eclipse GSX, Talon TSi AWD), and can be driven in both summer and winter with no problems. Just a suggestion tho, take it or leave it.

'09 SS/TC - Stolen
Mods - Injen CAI, CIA MAF Relocate CP's, Dejon FMIC,
Custom 3" DP, 3" Exhaust, GT3076R, Pioneer AVH-4100DVD, Hurst STS, ZZP triple pod, Autometer Cobalt boost/DPIC/WB gauges, Nitto NT05 245/40/18's, H&R Springs, 80:20 Meth Spray
Future - KSport Kontrol Pro Coilovers, 10% Tint, FMIC spray
538whp/501wtq @38 psi on meth and 93 oct on stock ish motor

06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold
Mods - *Updated 10/6/13* AEM TRUboost EBC, 4in custom TBE, SD dual 93/e85 tune, ETS 4in Race Core FMIC, Dual Aeromotive 400lph Fuel Pumps, T4 Tubular Manifold w/ dual WG's, FP Super99HTZ DBB Turbo, GSC 274 mivec cams, ARP headstuds/rod studs, FIC 2150cc Injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Aeromotive Fuel Rail, catch can, Mini Battery Kit, Slim Coolant Fan, Kiggly Racing high pressure valve Springs/Titanium Retainers, Supertech Stainless Steel Valves, Dual VTA Tial 44mm WG's, 4g64 Stroker Manley Pistons, 155mm 2.4 LR Manley Turbo Plus I Beam Rods with ARP 625 Studs, 100mm forged non-billet Manley Crankshaft, Full H/E PNP with Port Matching, Kiggly Racing Girdle, Dual Tial 50mm BOV's, Excedy Triple Disc Carbon HD Clutch, AEM EMS

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel
Mods - 5in TBE, Boost Elbow set to 28psi, Adjusted fuel pump, Open Turbo.

Future Mods- Super Street Clutch (rated @1400ftlbs tq), 67mm turbo, 160lb valve springs, added timing, tubular exhaust manifold, larger injectors, possible 6 spd swap.

Master ASE Certified Gasoline/Diesel Technician since 2004

Speed Junkies Social Group

Yourcobalt Official Facebook Page!

Syndicate of Tuners Official Page! Up and going again as of 1/11/13

Click here to PM me if you have questions or issues!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 06:01 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leveecius View Post
95% are beaten and finding one with that engine is pretty hard.
Stay AWAY from skittles. They are not only bad for your driving experience, also bad for your health Seriously tho, don't go with a skittle, you will be disappointed.
Not going to happen with your budget.
As stated before, Like the Cobalt SS, but Much more limited than the SS. Heavier, worse suspension and looks worse in my opinion. Not a big fan of these cars and a pain to work on.
Again, not in your budget lol
Not a bad car, if it's the imprezza. Just a regular WRX (non-turbo) is no fun at all. Becareful if you get a turbo one tho, they don't have very strong diffs.
SS turbo is a fun car all around, but not very fun to try and drive in the snow (I know I owned one and I'm from MI). If I was first at the light with a little slush or snow on the ground and I took off when it was green, without hitting the gas. Traction control would come on, and I'd start spinning and I'd be the only one that made it through the light legally.

IF you want a fun car that you can drive year round with that kind of budget, look into getting like an Evo 8 (yes there are some out there going for that, and I even know of an Evo 9 going for 15 (which is cheap for them, trust me I know), or look into getting like a DSM (Eclipse, Talon, Laser). They EASILY go for under that, they are cheap to mod, and when the right things are done to them, they are actually VERY reliable and fast. They have an AWD platform (Eclipse GSX, Talon TSi AWD), and can be driven in both summer and winter with no problems. Just a suggestion tho, take it or leave it.
I would love to get a hold of an eclipse gsx. Would gladly trade my SS for it. Those things hurt a lot of feelings if done right.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Have you looked at the new Scion or Subaru twin? It's rear wheel drive and apparently the most fun car to drive for the money.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 07:37 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
A First gen Talon/Eclipse GSX would be tits

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

06 SS/[email protected]: K&N|Powell|Koni|GMPP|ZZP|TWM|R1Concepts|Hawk|ARK|Hur st
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni

Garage
Twin charge AWD. Buddy has one of those, so bad ass!!!

99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode