Anyone else Got a Jeep? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Other Cars Talk about cars other than the Chevy Cobalt here

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Send a message via AIM to IncrediBalt
Anyone else Got a Jeep?

my jeep may 10 years old and shabby, but it's still my baby and favorite toy. It's no garage queen either- I take it rock crawling/trail riding every few months. There are a lot of bigger, badder Jeeps out there, but this one is built just the way I want it and it is a happy medium between on-road handling and offroad ability.

2003 Wrangler Rubicon (a REAL Rubicon, not just poser stickers) Lovingly known as "Mr. Toad"

when I got it 2 years ago: worn out tires, 2 inch budget boost (coil spacers), no-name winch, beat up aftermarket fender flares, and some funky aftermarket rims. Was towed behind a motorhome by one of the 4 PO's so multiple rock chips on the hood and grille, but fairly unmolested mechanically. Nice hardtop with tinted windows, wiper and defrost in near-mint condition. Factory soft top in such good shape it's still almost too tight to get on.

Now: 4 inch longarm suspension, 33inch Goodyear Duratracs, cheap offroad rims I don't care about scratching, rock sliders, tummy tuck, motor mount lift, safari top, tonneau cover, LED taillights, hi-lift jack, fully armored underside, homebrew bumpers, half doors, and vinyl suspension seats. He's come a long way, baby!

my boyfriend has a well-modified '95 Grand Cherokee with a lot of the same types of mods as mine. It is actually a lot more capable offroad than mine, but it's pretty much an offroad-only vehicle:

video: DSCN3978.mp4 Video by DirtyRat | Photobucket

anyone else got a Jeep...or other offroad rig?

White '07 LT coupe with lotsa purple stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 06:29 PM
YourCobalt of the Quarter Winner
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
blackbalt and his fiance have a liberty

Forged L61 BW S252 Turbocharged Showoff Thread
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

sweet! I wheeled with a guy who had a diesel Liberty a few years back. Mostly stock other than tires and a small lift but that thing went all over the place!

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

oh yeah, we have a '52 Willys CJ3a too:

unfortunately, my poor Cobalt doesn't get much love since the Jeeps moved in :(

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 07:14 PM
Cobalt Master

I have a 99 durango with a small lift that i used to take off-roading..... until the motor died.... if I can't get it running again before winter im gonna be getting a grand cherokee tho....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Speed isn't everything. Sometimes, you just need a little style and flare in your motoring.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

last group outing for our club had a guy in a nearly stock, newer Grand Cherokee. I tell ya, I was worried at first but he wheeled it like a champ and got through/over stuff I would never have attempted in such a rig, and only got a small ding in the rocker panel.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Cobalt Master

If i do end up getting one it will be a late 90's with the 5.9 in it, and it will be plenty capable after i get my hands on it..... I would settle for a cherokee but i just like the look of the grand cherokee alot better.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Speed isn't everything. Sometimes, you just need a little style and flare in your motoring.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 11:45 PM
Contributor

Garage
My pops has got an 01 white sahara edition wrangler and I love it so much

Future mods:
chevy 572 c.i. motor insatall
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I've wanted an early 90's YJ to dress up in Jurassic Park colors since watching that movie many years ago. What better vehicle to outrun a rampaging T-rex and look so badass doing it? My girlfriend really likes the Patriot, no idea why.

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 06:09 PM
Initiate

Garage
I have a Jeep street project, full size. It's an '84 Grand Wagoneer two wheel drive. Yeah, I know. They didn't come that way but what I want is an efficient highway cruiser and trailer puller. It would be appropriate for towing my AMC powered dragster. I have a newly rebuilt AMC 360 in it and the 727 transmission from an Ambassador also rebuilt. I have the original 727 and transfer case for sale. The transmission that is in it will give way to an overdrive, probably a GM 4L80e with modular controller. I have a .440 lift cam in the engine, an Edelbrock R4B dual plane intake for the Holley Pro-Jection fuel injection system, MSD 6 Plus ignition, new headers, 4 core radiator etc. The next big thing I have for it is a front independent suspension from a Lincoln Town Car. When that's all done, I dunno, maybe IRS for the rear. Anyone ever heard of such a Jeep?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
All that just to tow a car? Sounds a little excessive to me lol. But then, aren't we all a little mad for loving what we love? Keep up the crazy

Also, pics?

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode