New car choices - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Other Cars Talk about cars other than the Chevy Cobalt here

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 139 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

New car choices

Alright guys, as most of you may know I had a ss before and it got totaled. For the past few months I've been driving around a 2001 monte and a ford escape. I just recently got a new job so I can afford to get another car for myself. Since I'm 20 this is my first great paying job, and it is what will get me into my own house in some time. Anyway, my parents want me to live with them for a while to save up for a house and so I can have a nice car partly paid off before I get a house. Lol so that's what I'm doing. I basically pay rent anyway by helping them renovate for free. So I have a good bit of choices on cars I can buy. So I'll give a little bit on to what I need and want in a daily driver.

I live in pa so we get bad winters and have some bad roads. So awd or fwd is what I'm interested in.

I would like something with 4 doors, but it's not needed. I do want a back seat though that you can actually use.

I want fun and sporty.

Something with decent aftermarket.

Has to be a manual transmission.

Would like a newer car. 2012 or newer.. but a ss will be the only exception if I do that route.

Decent sound system would be nice stock, but not a deal breakee.

So you see what I like and want, so I'll give some cars I've been interested in. If you known of more then feel free to add to my list! These qrent really in any order. I would like something around 23k or less. There's some wiggle room.

2012 mitsubishi lancer evolution
With some searching you can find super clean ones right around 22,000.. lots are crazy expensive though.

2012 wrx. Honestly I like the evo much more. But can't leave out it's rival.

2010 cobalt ss. Having no warranty is a good and bad thing here. I can mod it all I want. But the lack of high quality interior is basically what's pushing me from this.

2013-2015 focus st. I'd rather a 15 but they're priced a bit high. When the 16's come in I'm sure they'll drop. They have the nicest interior of all on my list so far. . Too bad it's fwd. Lol

So you guys can see the type of cars I'm into right now. I will most likely also be buying a cappy winter beater as well. So my nice new car won't be salty lol.. so thanks any suggestions or things to say please do!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 139 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 07:44 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
FWD with snow tires does quite well in snow - I'm in Michigan, so obviously we get some awful winters - the diesel did perfectly with snows on this past winter - never once did we need AWD.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #3 of 139 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 07:47 AM
Staff Alumni

Hold off an see the prices for the focus RS

Sent from the sexy electrician

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 AM ----------

What about a V6 mustang or camaro? Or a used V8? 2012 mustang GT are selling where I live for like $20-$25k

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

Just for shits look up the value of a 2011+ mustang GT and a 2011+ camaro ss

2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4, 25/33 city/hwy imp mpg.
2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg

post #4 of 139 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I think you were on the right track. Get a loaded Lancer, no need for EVO.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #5 of 139 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP81 View Post
FWD with snow tires does quite well in snow - I'm in Michigan, so obviously we get some awful winters - the diesel did perfectly with snows on this past winter - never once did we need AWD.
Yeah I know, I do agree. I have had fwd my whole life and never had any problems I can blame on the car. But the awd adds performance as well as practical functionality so that's why I'd like it lol

---------- Post added at 07:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
I think you were on the right track. Get a loaded Lancer, no need for EVO.
Well, the evo just has the fun factor I'm looking for. I won't be buying one if I can't get it for the right price though. I will check out the regular lancers though, along with many other cars.

---------- Post added at 07:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 AM ----------

As for a mustang, I'd love a nice gt, but I don't think I can really justify it on the practicality side. I will be test driving some though. The focus rs will be out of my price range, they're guessing around 40k
post #6 of 139 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 08:44 AM
Staff Alumni

How can you not justify it. You said yourself you'll have a winter beater so winter driving doesn't really come into play. And the awd aspect you're talking about doesn't really matter in the summer time, at least not for 98% of the driving you're going to be doing.

At least do PJ and I a favour and test drive a mustang GT and camaro ss. After you do, I doubt you'll be able to think about anything else.

2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg
post #7 of 139 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Think practical, with a Lancer GT you won't need a winter beater, you'll have way better fuel economy than an EVO,Mustang or Camaro. You can dress it up to look like an EVO. The only thing you won't have is, too much power. ( We know where that took you the last time.)

---------- Post added at 12:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

Oh! and these cars are very, very reliable.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #8 of 139 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
If you test drive a 'Stang or 'Maro, I wanna hear about it. Even the V6s are respectable performers that will more than hold up against your SS or yore. You might have to adapt your driving style to daily a RWD though. The differences between drivetrains are night and day.

As much as I like the Lancer (well, kind of), I think you'd be let down by the NA versions. The 2.4 is decent for what it is, but it's practically 100hp/100tq down from your SS and what you've grown used to. Nobody wants to move down the food chain. The Evo is a beast, but it's not without it's flaws. I hear fuel economy with the 5 speed is atrocious, the ratios are so short that you'll be spinning ~3.5k rpm in 5th at highway speeds.

The WRX/STI are good cars. Not big on the last and current gens styling, but that's purely subjective. To me Subaru makes the blandest cars on the road.

The ST looks like fun. I hate the mustard yellow color, but besides that, it looks good. I'm sure a suitable aftermarket will develop for that car.

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
Think practical, with a Lancer GT you won't need a winter beater, you'll have way better fuel economy than an EVO,Mustang or Camaro. You can dress it up to look like an EVO. The only thing you won't have is, too much power. ( We know where that took you the last time.)

---------- Post added at 12:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

Oh! and these cars are very, very reliable.
If you go with a Lancer, try to find a Sportback. Hatchbacks are great to have and the car looks damn good with it.

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq
post #9 of 139 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 09:09 AM
Staff Alumni

There's so many cars out there it's not even funny. You should just run around to lots and test drive all the ones you like. If it were me and I could afford a winter beater and a nice car it would be an easy decision. Test drive a mustang, then a camaro, then a challenger and one would be coming home

Don't forget the mustang will rev all the way to 7k and power doesn't fall off at all, with the boss 302 intake it will make power to 8200rpm.

20/25 imp mpg
post #10 of 139 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
8200? That's Honda territory. Hard to believe they got that out of a street V8.

(Nascar carb'd OHV V8s run till 10k rpm)

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode