Got a New Ride :D - Page 2 - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Other Cars Talk about cars other than the Chevy Cobalt here

5Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
hawaii icon
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Yessir

Aspire to Inspire the Aspirations of the Inspirational
www.facebook.com/islandecotecs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 02:44 PM
Expert

Garage
Very cool!
Aren't those supposed to be sorta rare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
hawaii icon
Staff Alumni

Garage
I don't know how many were actually made, but I know they were only made for like 2 years. But I have heard a couple people mention how rare they are since I picked her up.

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

There were 2 on craigslist when I bought this one. The other one looked a little better (paint still looked good and had aftermarket wheels) but it was well over 100,000 miles and they wanted like 8 grand for it. This one was 10 grand but only had 44000 miles, was fully stock, and had a lot of recent maintenance done to it including a new soft top. The paint isn't great, the radiator needed replacing, and the clutch needs replacing as well, but I still felt better spending more for the low miles.

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

I just looked it up and what I read says that they were going to build 4000 a year until there was a fire at the factory and they suspended production.
Parthros likes this.

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 04:25 PM
Staff Alumni

Wow! Clutch needs replacing @44k. Wow

2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4, 25/33 city/hwy imp mpg.
2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 08:31 AM
Expert

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by agita_san View Post
I don't know how many were actually made, but I know they were only made for like 2 years. But I have heard a couple people mention how rare they are since I picked her up.

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

There were 2 on craigslist when I bought this one. The other one looked a little better (paint still looked good and had aftermarket wheels) but it was well over 100,000 miles and they wanted like 8 grand for it. This one was 10 grand but only had 44000 miles, was fully stock, and had a lot of recent maintenance done to it including a new soft top. The paint isn't great, the radiator needed replacing, and the clutch needs replacing as well, but I still felt better spending more for the low miles.

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

I just looked it up and what I read says that they were going to build 4000 a year until there was a fire at the factory and they suspended production.
I thought I remembered hearing about turbo Miatas being rare. That's pretty cool you were able to get a hold of one!

Quote:
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

My brother really wants a miata. Awesome find. What kind of power does it out out compared to the regular miata?
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 11:56 AM
Expert

Garage
Looks like at the time those were being made, the turbo Miata made 36 hp more than its naturally aspirated sister. So, even a modern Miata is making less power than the 178 hp the turbo ones made when they were new.

Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata - Road Test - Car Reviews - Car and Driver

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

Of course, it's very possible to make over 200 whp with an aftermarket turbo setup. The guy from Car Throttle did it with an NA Miata.

Quote:
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
hawaii icon
Staff Alumni

Garage
Its more like 150ish to the wheels. Flyin miata sells a kit that can get you reliably to 200 hp to the wheels with the stock turbo and ecu

post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Nice. Those are hard to come by, good find.

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 02:08 PM
Forum Regular

See mazda got the stock suspension right. I just can never wrap my head atound why cobalt suspension is si high like its gonna be a FWD off roading vehicle. But anyway just curoius if you bought it in manual or auto?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode