How To: Install Cavy Short Throw Shifter in your Cobalt(With Pics) - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Performance Performance DIY/How-to's

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
XFE
Wootsauce!
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to XFE
How To: Install Cavy Short Throw Shifter in your Cobalt(With Pics)

This will be your typical guide to install the "Ebay" Cavalier short throw shifter on you 2.2 or 2.4 Cobalt. This shifter will work on the F23 transmission. Now I have installed this shifter in my car, and also in Foximus's Cobalt. This guide will not cover the reverse lock-out portion of the install. Niether one of our cars have this. I tried to take plenty of pics to try to make the install as easy and understand as i can make it. I will try my best to explain things along the way. IF you have any questions please feel free to PM me or post up here with any questions.

Tools required:
Basic socket set
Needle nose pliers
Flat head screwdrivers (small and large)
Hammer
Dremel or hacksaw

You will also need a tube of White Lithium Grease.

Depending on what shifter you order, it may not come with a shift knob. Your options include: www.cosmoracing.com. Call them and tell them you just need to order a shift knob for the Cavy short shifter. They should be able to take care of that.
Or you can do what i did, and find the Hurst shift knob at your local Auto parts store.

This Video can help when removing the trim. Thanks to gCobalt05 for the video!

Pre Step 1)

Remove the stock shift knob by rotating the black ring at the top of the boot about 1⁄4 to 1⁄2 turn while pulling
down. Lift up on the shift knob to remove from the shaft. This requires some effort as it is a friction fit and there are small white tabs at the bottom of the shift knob that rest in a groove. A small screwdriver may be used to assist in releasing the shift knob while puling it up. Pull up to free the tabs and remove the shift knob.
*Credit goes to TWM for the Knob removal process*

Step 1)

Your first step will be to remove the center console tunnel. Just pull up on the top console pieces. You might have to pull firmly, but they will come out by just pulling on them.

Step 2)

In this step you will be removing the Tunnel itself. There are 4 "7mm" bolts holding the tunnel in. I have included pictures to point these out.

After you have those bolts removed then proceed to remove the panels underneath the dash, to the left and right of the radio. Just pull on those, they will pop right off. then you will see "white plastic panels" that need to be removed.

Passenger side

Driver side

After all that is removed, proceed to remove the tunnel. Just pull up on the rear and it should just come right out.

Step 3)

Once you have the entire console removed you are now ready to remove the shifter housing. We will now discuss that.
Again, i have included pics to try to explain it better.

Next

Next

Next

Once you have the shifter housing totally free of the cables, take it to a work bench or table.

Last edited by XFE; 01-20-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
XFE
Wootsauce!
Staff Alumni

Step 4)

Now we are going to work on disassembling the shifter to remove it from the housing.

Now totally remove that pin. Then proceed to remove the shifter from the housing. Set it to the side.

Step 5)

Now we have to modify the shifter housing.
Turn the unit upside down.

Step 6)

Now we have to prep the new shifter.

Step 7)

Now that you have the new shifter prepped. Place it back in the housing, Just how you removed the old one.

We will be using the new metal pin that is provided with the new shifter.

I installed the pin before i put the shifter in just as an example. BE SURE to install the new shifter before you put the new pin in.

NOW just repeat STEP 4 to get the assembley back together.
Make sure Pin is back in and tight.
Replace the rubber O ring.
Replace the retaining ring.
Replace the " U " pin.
The last thing left to do is to make sure you put the Shifter linkage cable catch back on the bottom ball of the shifter. Just firmly press and it should pop right on.

Last edited by XFE; 01-15-2010 at 11:01 PM.
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
XFE
Wootsauce!
Staff Alumni

Step 8 )

Reinstalling the shifter housing. This is basically just a reversal of Step 3.

Make sure the cable clips look like this

Now proceed to feed the cable ends into those holes as you work the housing back down onto the bolts.

Once you have made sure the cables are in the holders and the cable housings are securely clicked back into the shifter housing. Push down on the white and gray clips to make sure they "Click" you will here them click.

Now Bolt down the shifter housing. Clip the wiring harness back into the housing. Now would be the time to run it through the gears, just to make sure everything is good before you put everything back together.

Once you have double checked your work. Go ahead an proceed to put the console tunnel and everything else back together. Just reverse what you did in steps 1 & 2 and you should be good.

Here is the finished result.

Disclaimer: This is how I installed the shifter. I am not responsible if you can not follow simple instructions. Just use common sense and be patient.

If i missed anything, let me know please.

Last edited by XFE; 01-15-2010 at 11:26 PM.

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 11:43 PM

Garage
There is no need to cut that part of the shifter, if you have the Cavalier shifter. If you have a TWM, then yes you have to cut it.