Making a Turbo Manifold for About $50-$70 - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Performance Performance DIY/How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Location: bakersfield CA the worst shithole on the west coast
Garage
Talking Making a Turbo Manifold for About $50-$70

ok so after looking up a turbo manifold on the internet and dealership and shit load of other places i came to a conclusion that i could get one from ebay for $150-$270 with shipping another $40-$70 (some made in china crap) that will crack or get a cast iron for lots and lots of money, but looking at the stock manifold which is made out of what looks like to be mild steel i searched the internet and found quite many write ups where people were really happy with mild steel turbo manifolds that they welded themselves so i decided to experiment with it went to the metal yard got a 1/2 mild steel plate then took off exhaust manifold refer to https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/ins...-downpipe.html on how to remove the manifold out line the manifold flange on the steel plate including bolt holes, then take the gasket match it with the holes and outline the exhaust ports and start cutting if you got a gas cutter that would be really nice but if you dont then you're gonna have to struggle as much as i did using a grinder/cutter with enormous size cutting wheel take about 20 min to cut it out and then about 1-3 hours to grind it to perfection not perfect i know i just got tired i decided to finish it today i will keep you updated on this i still need to get some piping and a t4 flange i am gonna be using flux welder (lol i know) but if even this works on it and i heard it does pretty good job then we will be able to turbocharge our cobalts for $200 less

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

also this is for those who dont care about EGR or smog pump crap cause i removed those the manifold i am making doesn't have any ports or anyway to add a EGR i have friends who pass me on smog check and if you think cops gonna say something about it? well i dont stop for them i just ditch 'em i got enough NOS to ditch half of the local PD

bOw bEfORe KAmiKaZe!!! yOUr dRunKen EviL MasTEr

Last edited by Kamikaze; 04-29-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 04:18 PM
Veteran

Garage
Send a message via MSN to ndbalt07 Send a message via Skype™ to ndbalt07
well good luck with this and let us know how it goes

07' LS 5 spd, bullseye S256 @ 17 psi wut?!, E85!!!, wiseco 8.9:1 pistons, eagle rods, spec stage 3 clutch, TTR motor and tranny mounts, ARK sts, Magnaflow catback, tinted windows, B&G coilovers w/ adjustable camber plates, front bowtie painted black, and ETX ME-2 rims wrapped in 235/40/18 Nitto invos.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 06:31 PM
Expert

cast iron $210 shipped. personall i've built A turbo manifold ONCE and it turned out good just a pain in the ass good luck to you tho i'm defintley gonna follow this thread and see how it turned out.. if you have any questions feel free to drop me a pm.

CAVALIER GRAND AM COBALT 2.2 ECOTEC T3 TURBO MANIFOLD : eBay Motors (item 190392282901 end time May-26-10 19:15:58 PDT)

ballin outta control in a camo balt

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
aaaaaaaaaahhhhhh lol burned myself........ have to wait till next week so that i can get a plasma cutter or maybe just take it to the machine shop and cut the exhaust ports but id rather wait and get one of those shitty 3-1 arc/plasma/stick/TIG welders besides i need a TIG to make intake manifold out of aluminum

bOw bEfORe KAmiKaZe!!! yOUr dRunKen EviL MasTEr
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Expert

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltxfe09 View Post
:bangs****ingheadagainstthewall: :throwshandsupindisgust: i give up...lol
this is when mike decided to give up his balt ^^

http://s4.zetaboards.com/Cobalt_Universe/index/
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular