Moving Battery to Get Space for Fuel Cell :) - Page 5 - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Performance Performance DIY/How-to's

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Expert

Every single post from the OP is so full of fail I almost pooped myself.

Just to clarify, there is no logical reason to have 50/50 weight distribution on a FWD car, especially one built for drag racing.

My turbo lag is your courtesy head start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 10:37 PM
Veteran

Garage
If I add two rocket engines to the back of my cobalt, should I then mount a 3rd rocket on the front to try and maintain 50/50 weight distribution? (Im counting the engine as approx the weight of one rocket.)

follow up kwuestion: Waffle iron and espresso machine mounted on the dash...yay or nay?

GpB311 Showoff Profile https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...ngeles-ca.html

You might also know me as Dick Thrusthumper...
post #43 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 10:41 PM
Cornier Than Ethanol
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I still can't figure out if I'm going tap or saltwater for my console fishtank.

post #44 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 11:05 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to camopaint0707
salt, you could put cooler fish in it, but anyway..

post #45 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 12:04 AM
Cornier Than Ethanol

Garage
Oh, my bad. I thought we were pimping our rides... heh

In all seriousness, my only question about this whole thing is that he mentioned that you really shouldn't have hot exhaust next to your gas tank. We know after 100+ years, that this is OKAY to do. Much more so than a fuel source that could leak (at least vapor), next to a battery that could spark. Just my $.02.

Other than that, there really isn't much practicality to doing this. Besides doing something in a daily driven Balt that hasn't been done before, assuming the race ones have probably done it... albeit, safer. Which, to each their own. But I agree with the person that said to open the tire well up from the bottom, and closed from in the trunk. This could then be mounted in a way that it uses the same area, but is still outside of the car and out of the way of the exhaust. That, or relocate the battery above the well somewhere else in the trunk, and put the fuel cell there. But, with a way to cover it and protect the rest of the trunk/car from exposure.

post #46 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 05:53 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerCobalt Master

if he gets a battery box he's fine. he needs one anyway. like i said i've worked on many hot rods with a fuel cell right next to the battery, no firewall. 34 plymouth, 40 chrysler, duece coupes, nova, 69 camaros (plenty of them), shelby cobra, the list goes on. and these cars are purpose built for drag racing. if his setup is legit and not half assed i'm sure they won't give him shit at the track, although they might bust his balls since he's packing nitrous.

and about weight distribution, i think op is a little misinformed on the point of it all. i think he just means weight reduction, and i think he just wants a daily driven race car. nothing wrong with that, that's what i'm going for!

post #47 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 05:59 AM
Cornier Than Ethanol

Garage
Unless he does mean weight distribution, more like you would want with a RWD drag car (probably based on something he overheard or internet chatter). Something tells me though that this car will be more for everyday use, as suppose to 100% drag car. He has made no plans yet (at least that he's told us) to remove the subs, etc... so weight reduction isn't a factor yet it seems. We don't think he necessarily needs a firewall, per se... more of a nausea wall from smelling gas everywhere you go. lol

Last edited by YellowSS06; 10-11-2010 at 06:06 AM.
post #48 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 06:03 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerCobalt Master

yeah not once have i ever driven a car with a cell that doesn't smell like gas lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread