Airlift airbag install - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Performance Performance DIY/How-to's

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Airlift airbag install

*I feel dumb, I originally posted this in the suspension section, Doh well hereís where itís supposed to go, so here it is*

THIS IS INTENDED FOR COBALTS WITH EIBACH SPORTLINE SPRINGS ONLY
Other springs may not have similar coil spring dimensions however if you obtain a set of bags that fit the installation is exactly the same. Air lift load assist springs Part number 60748 kit which fits a 1997-2004 Olds Silhouette APV are an exact fit for the sportlines.

Well here it is my first write up. Originally this experiment started on the .net site but I figured everyone could benefit from it. I unfortunately do not own a digital camera so it will be lacking real color photos of the subject matter however being a mechanic with access to GM Dealer World I borrowed, modified, and created some diagrams for the important stuff to try and make them as clear as I could. I originally came up with this idea after installing BMR drag bags in customers GTO. Itís supposed to prevent wheel hop in GTOís at launch but it also significantly stiffens the rear end. After installing the FE5 front sway bar I noticed the car was displaying understeer. I had done everything already and needed a way of stiffening the rear suspension to create oversteer. I could have installed Progressives new 25 mm solid rear sway bar however I decided to give the bags a try. After some e-mails to Airlift tech assistance, they where able to supply me with a part number for a kit with bags that matched the dimensions I needed (above). So far the bags have done the trick and are adjustable too.

Step 1. Elevate the vehicle, remove the rear wheels and support the rear trailing arm.

Step 2. With vehicle weight on the rear trailing arm remove the top 18 mm shock bolts from both sides of the vehicle. Also locate and remove the two 10 mm nuts (one per side) holding the brake line brackets to the car. Remove the brackets from there mounts, this will allow the brake lines to hang with less stress on them.

Step 3. Elevate the vehicle to unload the rear springs and remove them from the vehicle along with the upper and lower spring insulators. The upper insulator may just fall out. The lower will require proper motivation to be removed from the spring pocket, for example a large flat blade screwdriver and some anger.

Step 4. The upper insulator is a 2 part insulator. One is a hard plastic disk with the upper bump stop integrated into it. The other is a soft neoprene like disk that fits between the top of the spring and the hard plastic insulator. Measure from the flat portion of the hard plastic insulator down the bump stop about 1 inch, mark it and cut it. Feel free to remove a little less material from the hard plastic but when you are done the edge of the plastic should be about even with the upper metal bump stop that is a part of the car.
LINK: http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3...erbumpstop.jpg
LINK: http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3...rinsulator.jpg

Step 5. The lower bump stop is the most labor intensive portion of the installation specifically because you need to trim the steel bump stop on the trailing arm. Measure the lower insulator just like the upper and cut it. Reinstall the insulator back on the trailing arm, and mark the trailing arm accordingly. Remove the insulator and cut along your mark. I used a high speed fiberglass cutting disk on an air powered ďwizzerĒ. Be careful sparks and debris will fly, wear safety glasses and donít cut too much. After you have removed the bump stop top, grind the sharp edges. You should have to chamfer the outer edge in order to reinstall the lower insulator and donít neglect the inner edge either. To fully seat the insulator a hammer may be required. Make sure the edges are relatively smooth to avoid cutting or puncturing the bags. The insulator and bump stop should be dead even with each other.
LINK: http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3...erbumpstop.jpg
LINK: http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3...rinsulator.jpg

Step 6. Install the bags in the rear springs, itís not hard to do but itís not easy either. Remove the black cap from the fitting on the bottom of the bag. Squish the bag down and reinstall the cap. Stuff the bag into the spring and then remove the cap again.

Step 7. Nowís time to start running the air lines. Insert the line down through the trailing arm and out the back opening. I have a progressive rear sway bar and I used that to zip tie the airline too for routing up the trailing arm. I routed the driverís side line up and across the sway bar to the passenger side of the vehicle to keep it away from exhaust heat. Then up over the rear brake line, across the top of the fuel filer neck just under the frame rail to the rear black plastic fascia. I chose to keep the bags separate, driver and passenger, so I could add extra pressure to the driverís side airbag. The supplied line was just long enough for me to do this so keep it loose but not so loose it flops around. Reinstall the upper and lower insulators and springs. Slide the air line up onto the bag and secure it with one of the supplied clips. Shove the bag to the bottom of the spring making sure you have some slack in the supply line because when you raise the vehicle later the inflated bags will slide up with the springs as they uncompress.
LINK: http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3...lineroute1.jpg

Step 8. Load the rear trailing arm and reinstall the 18 mm shock bolts and the brake line brackets with there 10 mm nuts.

Step 9. Install the supplied valves where you can at the rear of the vehicle. I installed them on the rear black plastic fascia and because of placement I had to remove some metal from the body to prevent rubbing on the line. Inflate the bags carefully. They are small and inflate quickly if you are using any kind of compressed air. I set mine to dr.side 16 psi and the pass. side to 15 psi. Max recommended pressure from airlift is 25 psi.

Step 10. Reinstall the rear wheels and torque to 100 lbs. ft., lower the vehicle, drive and enjoy.

Step 11. (optional) With vehicle weight on the suspension inspect the driverís side bag/spring and its proximity to the exhaust. I recommend fabricating a heat shield to protect the bag itself from any potential heat radiated by the exhaust.

2006 LS coupe, manual, Victory Red
Sportlines, FE5 struts, shocks, front swaybar, Progressive 22mm rear swaybar, Airlift load assist rear airbags, TWM ST shifter, smoothed TB, LSJ exhaust, debadged, demudflapped, Yokohama AVID Touring P195/60R15's. Soon to come 17x7 Motegi Tracklight 1.0. Best to date 15.402 at 90mph

"No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full."
Lucius Cornelius Sulla

Last edited by Montecarloman; 01-28-2008 at 06:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 06:33 PM
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to gibsonj4
Very nice, detailed write-up!

2V Mustang GT - Cammed/Sprayed - The "Mustake" - Sold
2010 Cobalt 2LT - SOLD!
Chrysler 300C Hemi K&N & Tune
2005 Cobalt SS Supercharged - E85 TVS 2.9 - SOLD!
2001 Corvette C5 6MT
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 02:59 AM
Expert

sorry if I didn't see this in the write-up but how much did everything cost you?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Just the kit is all it cost, Summit racing sells them for bout $80. Now if you include all the tools I used and the lift I put the car on thats a whole different story :D. Hurray for being a mechanic

Sportlines, FE5 struts, shocks, front swaybar, Progressive 22mm rear swaybar, Airlift load assist rear airbags, TWM ST shifter, smoothed TB, LSJ exhaust, debadged, demudflapped, Yokohama AVID Touring P195/60R15's. Soon to come 17x7 Motegi Tracklight 1.0. Best to date 15.402 at 90mph

"No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full."
Lucius Cornelius Sulla
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 07:07 AM
Newcomer

I keep getten "page not found" in the photo bucket links

09 VIBE * 85&78 VETTE / WIFE 08'G6
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 07:24 AM
Expert

Yeah i think he probably moved his images. Can you fix this please?

I have all the necessary tools. thank you

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Sorry bout that, for some reason the links in the page didnt transfer when I copied it to the forums. Had the same problem on another site. I fixed the links and tested them, all is well.

Lucius Cornelius Sulla
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 04:14 AM
Newcomer

Id kill so see some under car picks of this installed.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Really not a whole lot to see, some red bags in the springs and some black lines. Still trying to get a hold of a digital camera, when I get one I'll post um up.

Lucius Cornelius Sulla
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Forum Regular

i wannadothis to my car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode