PJ's Showoff & Brief History - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Photography/Video Love taking pictures? Want to show off? Learn more, share tips? Step in here!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
PJ's Showoff & Brief History

Thought it was about time for one of these, even though my car is still a work-in-progress and I'm not yet satisfied with what I have. As you may well know, I drive a 2006 base model G5 sedan. She does have cruise control, which is nice, but it's a bit temperamental. My plans are to go tracking, both drag and circuit, and have built up my car to handle the stresses of these activities. I had never modified any of my previous cars before, so all this was a 'learn as you go' experience for me. I learned a fair bit and am still in the process of expanding my knowledge, both as a modder and a driver.

My first mod was a TWM short throw shifter. Once I got a good handle on driving stick, I started to feel as though the stock shifter was too long and rubbery/uncommunicative for my liking. So I bought the kit, and installed it in my driveway. My first test drive went fine, until I shifted into 2nd. The clip holding the cable popped out and I was stuck in neutral. Had to push the car back to my place from halfway down the block, uphill. A quick fix and the shifter's been doing great since.

Next I needed some power. This is around the time I joined YC looking for some guidance. I looked at a few intakes and decided on Injen. I can't remember why but I honestly believed the dyno sheet on the box would give me so much hp/tq. Install was a bit tricky but I got that done fairly quick. Loved the sound, was very happy with that. The occasional P0171 not so much.

Shocks and springs were next. I had dug up old threads and did a lot of snooping around and discovered that Pedders were then being touted as the best handling springs on the market. Good, that's what I want. stratosproject directed me to CED and their FE5 hardware. Got the kits, rented a lift at a garage, and got to work. Installation was fine besides ruining an endlink (which as I write this, I'm yet to fix) and discovering that both my rear FE1 springs were snapped. Got an alignment two weeks later and noticed my car had been totally transformed from a loose, wishy-washy wet bar of soap to having an almost slot-car like capability. The springs have since rusted out pretty bad and would need replacing again sometime soon.

At some point, my flex pipe tore and it needed replacement. I figured now was a good time to completely rework my exhaust. I was directed by some of you to ZZP, and settled on their midlength header & DP, but pulled the trigger w/o yet knowing what a wideband was. Derp. money man commented about how he loved his GMPP catback, so I bought that too. (My Visa bill that month was something like 2k!) Again, rented a lift and got to work. What a pita that was, but the end result was better than I expected. It was like I drove a Nascar with an extra gear and no tq below 4k rpm.

After that, I looked into completing the intake with a new TB and IM. Was looking for the 2.4 stuff, but was suggested I instead buy an LSJ TB and kinda gerryrig it to an LE5 manifold. Okay, whatever will get me what I want. Moar powah! It was at that time that I swapped DPs for one with a wideband bung, bought the AEM and Interceptor gauge, plus all that other fun jazz at ZZP. The bill came out to just shy of 1k. Got the package, installed the gauges and now I'm waiting on a tune to install the TB and IM. Recently found out that I'd get no support from HPT and will thus have to rely on Trifecta. Not too thrilled about that.

In the mean time, I bought some comp pedals (PFYC) and an aluminum radiator (Mishimoto), the latter of which is yet to be installed. My future plans are still very big and kinda sketchy. I need to retool my suspension, buy some lightweight wheels and performance tires and scratch whatever other itch should come my way. Basically, if it makes me go faster, stop sooner or handle better, I want it. Retros and body kits I'm just not interested in. That's pretty much it. I'll be adding to this whenever something new comes around. Thanks for reading.

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq

Last edited by Plain Jane; 03-29-2014 at 08:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 02:56 PM
Veteran

Garage
I like the brief story and I really like that you're building a sleeper. Keep up the good work bro.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

Good good good

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks. I know my car isn't the most interesting, or fastest on YC, but she's still special to me. Here's a pic of the competition pedals freshly installed. I don't much like how it turned out though.

post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 06:46 PM
Staff Alumni

Garage
Very nice, like the way this is going make it a killer sleeper!

post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
That's the intent. Although I may have to rethink a few things in terms of tuning.

post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I found a great deal on lightly used BFGoodrich g-force sport comp-2 tires last weekend and jumped all over it. These are without a doubt head and shoulders above my scrappy old Toyo Extensa A/S junk set. You really have to try hard to unsettle these tires, they don't break traction easily.

Size is 195/55-15. Rated for 149 mph.

post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 10:04 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
I found a great deal on lightly used BFGoodrich g-force sport comp-2 tires last weekend and jumped all over it. These are without a doubt head and shoulders above my scrappy old Toyo Extensa A/S junk set. You really have to try hard to unsettle these tires, they don't break traction easily.

Size is 195/55-15. Rated for 149 mph.
Same tires I have on my SS. G-Force sport comp-2's. I like them, they are kinda hard to break loose, but I really haven't tried... mine are 225/40-18's I don't know what they are rated for. Load and speed rating is 88z for mine. All it says is capable of speed in excess of 149 MPH... how high its rated for is not actually listed.

2009 Imperial Blue Metallic Cobalt SS/TC Sedan - "Stock":
2008 Victory Red HHR SS - Stock
2005 Chili Pepper Red Ion Redline - Stock
2007 Sunburst Orange Metallic LS Coupe - Sold
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 10:47 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerForum God

Same but 235/40/18 on PF01's here. They break traction pretty easy when at an autocross but not having anything better I'm not sure how good they are.

2009 Cobalt LS XFE (F23) Victory Red
YYZ V.3 Springs, Koni shocks/struts, Powell XXX rear swaybar, Brembo brake swap, 5 lug conversion, Ion Redline wheels, SS/SC interior swap including power conversion, K&N intake, Trifecta tune, Ark Performance N-II catback, Ark shorty antenna, SS body kit, Powell F23 rotated mount, LNF rear mount, Powell CABs
Soon to come- EFR 6758 turbo kit and make Retro Headlights.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Speed rating is stamped with a letter. My Toyos were T rated, these are V. 'T' is given a value of 118 mph, and 'V' is pegged at 149.

When compared to my previous sets of tires on my car, there's no question which ones are superior. There are probably better tires out there, but I wouldn't know until I've driven with them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode