Lowering Springs Vs. Warranty - Page 2 - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Pontiac G5 Owners Lounge General Pontiac G5 Discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 02:04 PM
Get Out The Sawzall
Staff AlumniCobalt Master

Garage
I am about ready to remove that damn post that shows how to replace struts and springs without spring compressors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 02:05 PM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Haha. Spring Compressors FTW!

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar, K&N Intake, Trifecta Tune
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
leave the post let the springs shoot at the person who doesn't use a compressor lol

09 Pontiac G5
Tinted,Debadged & Detrimed, 12k Hid's,Tinted Taillights & Side markers, 17" DR-40 wheels w/ Kumho 215/45's, CM springs..

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 04:28 PM
hawaii icon
Staff Alumni

Garage
Lol I've dont the suspension on mine and richards car a whole bunch of times and if it's done right you don't need a spring compressor. You just gotta know what you are doing and be careful...

I had SSi springs which gave me an awesome drop (almost 3 inches after it all settled) and combined with my koni shocks and struts mad for an excellent ride! (here comes my shameless self plugging) Check out the for sale section if you'd like to purchase my old setup :D

Aspire to Inspire the Aspirations of the Inspirational
www.facebook.com/islandecotecs
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 05:31 PM
Contributor

Garage
How hard is it to rent a spring compressor for a day? That post should probably not be on here.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
whoever posted the thread on how to replace the springs without a compressor should post a video, so we can see the spring flying at them

2010 Cobalt LS XFE
GMPP Intake - H&R Sport Springs - Morimoto MH1 Retrofitted Headlights - Alpine IDA x305 Head Unit - MPx Shorty Antenna
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 07:25 AM
Staff Alumni

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimzim View Post
How hard is it to rent a spring compressor for a day? That post should probably not be on here.
just about any local auto places should rent them. orielly's was 40 dollar deposit, and like 5 bucks for rental when i did mine the first time. if you use this method, make sure you have an impact driver. or strong arms and hours to turn a ratchet.

ive taken mine out more than once without it. and its perfectly safe. if done right the spring decompresses as you jack the car up. its still bolted at the knuckle and tower so it isnt going anywhere...

Last edited by scagnetti76; 07-28-2011 at 07:47 AM.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 08:06 AM
Say What again!

Garage
Likely, the spring won't fly out with deadly force, because it still has the entire strut assembly below it, and it would have to "climb" over the strut shaft to get out.

I liked using spring compressors when I did it, but like when we did my buddy's Gbody, the proper way to do it is a jack.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar, K&N Intake, Trifecta Tune
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 12:00 PM
Forum God

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
whoever posted the thread on how to replace the springs without a compressor should post a video, so we can see the spring flying at them
um...I didn't use a spring compressor and NOTHING happened. The stock springs don't press up on the top seat enough to launch anything up at you. And it wouldn't be the SPRING flying up, it would be the TOP of the strut, where the top of the spring is seated...

BTW;

LOWERING > WARRANTY

thank you :D

BboyTaktix
- 2011 Plasma Blue pearl WRX STI sedan
- SOLD -S256 TURBO 2.2 -SS/TC body, SS/Tc shocks/struts, B&G springs, 17"mags, TRS FX-R retrofits (50W/6000k)

Last edited by BboyTaktix; 07-28-2011 at 12:05 PM.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 01:37 PM
Staff Alumni

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BboyTaktix View Post

LOWERING > WARRANTY
fo sho!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version