Lowering Springs Vs. Warranty - Page 3 - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Pontiac G5 Owners Lounge General Pontiac G5 Discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Forum God

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagnetti76 View Post
fo sho!
lol scagnetti, I think we're like twins. We been post-backing each other for the past 2 weeks without even knowing it hahaha

BboyTaktix
- 2011 Plasma Blue pearl WRX STI sedan
- SOLD -S256 TURBO 2.2 -SS/TC body, SS/Tc shocks/struts, B&G springs, 17"mags, TRS FX-R retrofits (50W/6000k)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 12:43 PM
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BboyTaktix View Post
lol scagnetti, I think we're like twins. We been post-backing each other for the past 2 weeks without even knowing it hahaha
Lmao! I think its more that we are more active than a lot of other members right now.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 05:33 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
I'm confused. Half the people in the thread are saying that switching *without* a compressor is the dumbest thing a man can do, and the other half are going "pssssh I did it a million times and I'm fiiiiiiiine"...

So which is it? Should I spend the money renting a compressor to do it safely, or go ahead and let the car compress the springs? I'm kinda curious because I've got my FE5 struts and shocks and some Eibach springs... and I want to change them myself.

Driving a 2006 Chevy Cobalt LT 2.2L, Alpine Type-S speakers & 10" Sub, Pioneer AVHP3200BT Receiver, Injen CAI

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 05:46 PM
Cobalt Master

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bbrewbaker
Rent the spring compressor.
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 06:32 PM
hawaii icon
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Even tho I'm one of the ones who has done ot a ton of times without a compressor I'll say go the extra step and rent one. It is the safer way to go.

Aspire to Inspire the Aspirations of the Inspirational
www.facebook.com/islandecotecs
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 07:25 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
Great, thanks guys. =D

Driving a 2006 Chevy Cobalt LT 2.2L, Alpine Type-S speakers & 10" Sub, Pioneer AVHP3200BT Receiver, Injen CAI
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 07:33 PM
Get Out The Sawzall
Staff AlumniCobalt Master

Garage
Ok, I said that I wanted to remove the post. Honestly I like using the compressor, then again I have a wall mounted one . Never the less I can change out a set of struts and springs just as fast if not faster with a set of manual compressors than the jack method. I have however completed hundreds of spring and strut swaps, hell I have even used ratchet straps.

I do not like the thread because it is in the how to section. If you are looking in the "how to" section to learn how to perform a spring swap, this usually means you have little to no experience. I do not like the idea of someone who has never swapped a set of springs, sliding a bottle jack under the car and relying on it to do the job.

Last edited by DROPPEDATBIRTH; 07-28-2011 at 07:35 PM.
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 05:27 AM
Forum God

^^good point dropped. But just put a warning at the beginning of the thread as opposed to deleting it, because it's still good info for those who don't have access to a spring compressor for various reasons, and that have the experience to do it.

I used an electric torque drill or wtv to take the tob bolt off the strut and the top seat just kinda moved up a little when the bolt came off...spring just decompressed slightly, nothing major, didn't seem dangerous.

BboyTaktix
- 2011 Plasma Blue pearl WRX STI sedan
- SOLD -S256 TURBO 2.2 -SS/TC body, SS/Tc shocks/struts, B&G springs, 17"mags, TRS FX-R retrofits (50W/6000k)
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
The thread was originally about my warranty getting messed up with lowering springs, I have installed springs before. Just not on a cobalt. I am getting my windows tinted next week ill post pictures of that and then the week after I am going to order my springs. Im getting Eibach Sportline's. And Im keeping my stock wheels for a wile haha. Ill get some 17's some day....

09 Pontiac G5
Tinted,Debadged & Detrimed, 12k Hid's,Tinted Taillights & Side markers, 17" DR-40 wheels w/ Kumho 215/45's, CM springs..

post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 06:29 AM
Staff Alumni

Garage
got a little off topic didnt it. i would recommend the ssc springs if you want that drop. less bouncy than sportlines with the same drop. after having my sportlines for two years, i wish i had listened to those who warned me lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode