Lowering Springs Vs. Warranty - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Pontiac G5 Owners Lounge General Pontiac G5 Discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
Lowering Springs Vs. Warranty

Will lowering my g5 void my warranty? Just springs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 05:02 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
It will void anything they can blame on the springs..... but they have to prove it

2010 Cobalt LS XFE
GMPP Intake - H&R Sport Springs - Morimoto MH1 Retrofitted Headlights - Alpine IDA x305 Head Unit - MPx Shorty Antenna
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
I might just install the springs and if I have any problems with anything related to the suspension I will install the stock ones before taking it to them... I would think that would be easy.. if their not hard to swap out..

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 08:43 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
well.... i brought mine to a local shpo to get installed... pretty sure you need a spring compressor. But, it may still be easy to do, I'm not 100% sure

2010 Cobalt LS XFE
GMPP Intake - H&R Sport Springs - Morimoto MH1 Retrofitted Headlights - Alpine IDA x305 Head Unit - MPx Shorty Antenna
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
Did it help the ride and handling of your car alot?
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 06:45 PM
Newcomer

ya i was wondering about this too?

Cobalt '10
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 11:04 AM
Contributor

You don't need spring compressors. With the right tools, it's not very hard to change out springs. But you need an alignment after each time you change them I think. There is a DIY on how to change springs without a spring compressor.

post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
I can get a spring compressor from a parts house I have several friends and family that work at oreillys.. Ill probably go with springs and keep the stock tires and hubcaps because the car is driven everyday and I am to cheap to buy wheels and 18 in tires haha.. plus the roads here are terrible..I know you can put springs on the front of a jeep without a compressor ive seen that done.. im sure if you jack the car up enough they can be installed.. i know the back springs are really lose when the rear of the car is up..

09 Pontiac G5
Tinted,Debadged & Detrimed, 12k Hid's,Tinted Taillights & Side markers, 17" DR-40 wheels w/ Kumho 215/45's, CM springs..

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 03:27 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
i did notice a difference in handling.. I guess the ride quality will depend on the springs you have. I have an LS, and with H&R sport springs installed, my springs lowered my car about 1.25 inches in front and 1.75 in rear (approximately). The ride quality is not far from original, but I obviosuly do notice if you hit bumps by an accident, its a much louder "clunk" and you will feel bumps a bit more... bit I just drive sensible and I can't complain. Handling is excellent.. even only for the small drop

2010 Cobalt LS XFE
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 08:44 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
If you're looking for handling, the two best handling springs on the market for our cars are SSCs and Pedders. SSCs have slightly less handling potential than the Pedders, but offer more of a drop, which is why I went with them. The ride on both is also excellent (which is rare for good-handling springs, generally).

Also, I would suggest purchasing FE5 (08+, SS/TC stuff) struts and shocks to make the most of whatever springs you do choose. They're also better able to handle lowering springs.

When I did my suspension swap, I did FE5 struts and shots, SSC springs, SS/SC lower control arms, SS/SC front 24mm swaybar and moog swaybar end links, the improvement was, to say the least, nothing short of mind-blowing.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode