Steering Wheel Shakes When Braking - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Pontiac G5 Owners Lounge General Pontiac G5 Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Exclamation Steering Wheel Shakes When Braking

Hello everyone, my name is Kalan and I am having an issue with my wifes 2008 Pontiac G5 which is just about 99k miles. I have been researching and working on the G5 several times in order to fix this issue, and have not found the cure yet.

Vehicle
2008 Pontiac G5 sports edition 2.2L drum brakes in rear 99k miles

Problem
Steering wheel rattles/shakes when braking, which happens at various speeds. The G5 hasn't had any service recently when the issue has shown up.

What I Have Done
I have replaced both rotors, both sets of brake pads (ceramic), tightened all bolts to manufacturer's recommended specs, lubed caliper guide pins, bled the brake lines in front, pulled the ABS fuse (issue still present) and replaced it back, had a mechanic look at it which the only code he found was for the RR ABS sensor not being in sync along with the TPMS (tire pressure system) code as well (which the light for it has come on and off when driving at high speeds, but eventually goes away).

The issue has is still present from before and after all that has been done including replacing the rotors. I have come to many dead ends on researching, and even came to suspecting the steering column to be an issue although I do not hear any clunking or have steering issues. While replacing the brake pads I noticed the inside pads being more worn which had 1/3 life remaining while the outside pads had 2/3 left (still went ahead and replaced them). When compressing the calipers the dust boots did have an air bubble, which I tried to tuck in but was not successful which I discovered that led to them wearing a hole in them (since two weeks ago). I have ordered two brake caliper repair kits, which I will perform tomorrow.

Recalls Fixed
Power Steering, Ignition.

Any help would be great, thanks!

Last edited by kalans; 10-29-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
You need new rotors and torque the lug nuts properly.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Initially I used an impact to put the lugs on once installing the new rotors which was two weeks ago, and today I torqued to specs when taking it all apart. After the install it was still present and today after reinstalling. So do you think the rotors got over torqued and warped right away?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 10:23 AM
Forum Regular

your tires could be buldging thru the tread

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 AM ----------

my steering wheel had a shake while braking i replaced my tires, and it went away
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 04:43 AM
Initiate

An impact wrench on the lugs could definitely warp the rotors in one tightening, unless you had a torque limiter adapter. So warped rotors would be suspect, but you should also feel this in the brake pedal.

Otherwise try swapping the rear wheels to the front and see if it goes away. Also check the steering linkages, inner and outer tie rod ends, steering column u-joints.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 01:17 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
check all ur front sway bar bushings and links mine did that for the longest time an thats what it was

CEEJBRO!!
email
[email protected]
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 02:26 PM
Expert

steering shaft linkages could be a culprit. Although usually when it just when breaking its that the rotors are warped.

***EDIT*** Nevermind this post was from back in october/november....

I wonder if he found the fix.

2009 Imperial Blue Metallic Cobalt SS/TC Sedan - "Stock":
2008 Victory Red HHR SS - Stock
2005 Chili Pepper Red Ion Redline - Stock
2007 Sunburst Orange Metallic LS Coupe - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode