Weird Experience Programming a Fob (07 Cobalt) - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Weird Experience Programming a Fob (07 Cobalt)

I had a weird experience programming a fob for an 07 Cobalt. I've got a tech2, so I plugged it in and "built" the vehicle with current specs. Went into the key fob section & tried adding a new fob, but it kept giving me the error "possible wrong vehicle selected. Reselect vehicle". I tried adding the RCLDR but it said something like it was already installed.

I then "built" the vehicle as an 06. Went to the section under body control module where I could add fobs. It did the 60 second count down so I pressed lock & unlock and it actually responded! After the 60 second count down it gave me an error message but it still programmed the fob.

The fob in question is a 5 button 22733524. The only weird thing is that the "lock" button doesn't seem to respond, although it could be a bad button, I know they go bad. I also can't test the car start feature as you have to press lock and then hold the start button.

Could it be that the RCLDR for an 06 is installed in the 07 car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I do this all the time with my TechII, if the 06 had remote start it would have had the same RCDLR as an 07-10. Only different RCDLR would be for 05-06 with FOB #22733523. #15252034 uses same RCDLR as #22733524.

What software version are you using in your TechII?

I did an 07 two days ago and had no problem. Body "A" passenger, go into BCM, program key FOB and erase all FOBs. The car can only take 4 FOBs. You need to press lock/unlock simultaneously so if your lock button doesn't work you won't be able to program the FOB and will get an error. Make sure FOB works properly before programming. Only about 2 out of 10 work when purchased off ebay. I've had to repair most of them before I could sell and program them to clients.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Oh right, so the fob is working ok as the programming worked & you have to press lock & unlock to program :-) Not sure why "lock" doesn't respond now, must be a problem with the RCLDR? The unlock & truck open buttons do work.

Do the remote start 07's use a different RCLDR than non-remote start 07's? 06 never came with remote start from factory.

I'm using 33.004.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I've done 06 with factory remote start. In 07-10 it is the same RCDLR for both. If the lock button doesn't work it may still program the FOB but it will not have all functions. These thing can be mysterious at times.

I suggest you use the proper year, I test the buttons with and rf meter.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 07:52 AM
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
I've had to repair most of them before I could sell and program them to clients.
Can you explain what you had to repair on the Fobs and possibly how? I am the proud owner of at least six fobs and still cannot get them to work. I had even brought my 07 Cobalt in to the dealer to program the original fobs after re-soldering the battery clips to no avail.

Quote:

I suggest you use the proper year, I test the buttons with and rf meter.
Could you also explain this please?

EDIT: I just ran across your thread on repairs: How to Properly Repair Key FOB.

So now I would ask if you have something similar on the receiver? The dealer implied it was not working correctly.

Last edited by blasirl; 06-09-2018 at 08:36 AM. Reason: spelling
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasirl View Post
Can you explain what you had to repair on the Fobs and possibly how? I am the proud owner of at least six fobs and still cannot get them to work. I had even brought my 07 Cobalt in to the dealer to program the original fobs after re-soldering the battery clips to no avail.
I repair about 20-30 GM FOBs a month and the KOBGT04A is most of them. Usually the most common defect is the back of the button pad wears out, then it's the battery clip that comes apart from the board followed by broken cases.
If it's a GM#22733524 this is the best replacement pad I found. The icons of the pad may wear out early but there is plenty of carbon on the back part that will last quite a while depending on use of course.

https://www.banggood.com/5-Buttons-R...r_warehouse=CN

Now the 22733523 or the 15252034 it's very difficult to find good one but once in a while you'll find some, the last time I had to buy the whole case just to get the good pads.

These are the good ones

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-X-NEW-REPL...YAAOSwZVlXjcAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasirl View Post
Could you also explain this please?
I was referring to the TechII you need to have the proper year, model and body style to program the FOB properly.

Last edited by Coby7; 06-09-2018 at 08:14 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 08:09 AM
Prospect

I didn't realize you were online. I had modified my question while you were answering me. Do you have a thread somewhere on the receiver?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I do but photobucket screwed that up too.

I have several detectors but I find this one to work the best.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/RF-Scanner-D...IAAOSw48dbGyk2

---------- Post added at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

I also modified my first answer.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 08:45 AM
Prospect

Quote:

I have several detectors but I find this one to work the best.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/RF-Scanner-D...IAAOSw48dbGyk2

---------- Post added at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

I also modified my first answer.
Thanks for that, I will probably get one, but the receiver I meant is what I think you call the RCDLR.[COLOR="RED"] EDIT:Remote Control Door Lock Receiver

---------- Post added at 07:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 AM ----------

Quote:
If you are using Chrome, go to the three vertical ellipses in the upper right corner (customize and control Google Chrome), select them, scroll down and hover over the "more tools" option and continue to scroll to the "extensions" option.

Select "extensions" and search for a "Photo Bucket Hotlink Fix" There are more than one and it is possible the one you first select will not work for you. If that is the case, I would remove it and try another. The first one I found, I installed and it works great. Others have had issues, so I added that caveat.

Last edited by blasirl; 11-25-2018 at 12:21 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 12:12 PM
Prospect

I purchased the rf scanner and it works well. I also purchased two new remotes and still cannot get them to work. I have only one key that will start the vehicle although I have many to open it. So I am at a loss. do you think I should have the dealer try to load me as a 2006? I do not have auto start, only remote lock/unlock.

"Don't just drive CRUZE!" ༼∵༽ ༼⍨༽ ༼⍢༽ ༼⍤༽

2007 Chevy Cobalt LT Summit White

2014 Chevy Cruze LT auto (Pedestal Spoiler, Tinted Windows, Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Diode Dynamics XP50 Reverse Lights, splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals w/amber Diode Dynamics LEDs, Eibach Pro-kit, Bilstein Sport Struts, UR Rear upper Strut Bar, UR Front Upper Strut Bar) MOTM JAN17 AUG17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode