Car Shakes when shifted into Drive - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Car Shakes when shifted into Drive

I have a 2006 Chevey Cobalt 2.2 LT. We bought it from a mechanic, and he told us to replace the fuel filter so we did.

Anyway the car seemed to run fine for a couple months, minus the trouble accelerating above 40 mph. After 40 it accelerated kind of slow at first, then at a normal pace.
Anyway one day on the way home the car just wouldn't accelerate. It would get to 10 or 20mph and not rev or accelerate any higher. I think it put the engine in limp home mode.
When I finally got a chance to try and figure out what was wrong I found out that the engine shakes violently, but not in park or nutural, just when put in gear. It won't rev past 1500 rpm even in park. I replaced the Spark Plugs and that wasn't it. The guy at AutoZone said it was the Throttle Body and it was probably the TPS. I've heard and read maybe the CAT, or because the guy we bought it from said the fuel filter, then maybe it was the Fuel Pump, but I have also since read that it could be the Timing Chain, cracked mount.....the list goes on and on.
So any help would be greatly appreciated, because I don't really want to buy the car, and spend just as much to figure this out as I played for the car itself. And Thank You in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 05:11 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Symptoms sound like a plugged cat.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Yes the converter was clogged. I drilled a hole into it, and now the car engine doesn't shake. I am faced wit a new problem though, besides buying a new converter. I was messing around in the fuse box, and noticed a 25 was slotted where a 15 is supposed to be. I replaced the fuse with the correct fuse, and my code reader actually works on this vehicle now....!
Unfortunately that is the small blessing.
I am now faced with 10 different codes, and I feel the underlying problem. The one that started it all was one of these codes. I also know some of them are from the whole in my CAT now.
The Codes read as followed, and I already googled and read what they are for. Any input on What to start with besides the obvious CAT and spark plug wires, because I already replaced the plugs. Would be greatly uhhh appreciated. Anyway codes go P0443, PO101, P0102,P0030, P0036, P0135, P0141, P0172, and the big one, P0300. What should I start with. What could it be, and why should I start with that particular code?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I would start by replacing the catalytic converter and clear the codes to see which ones come back if any.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I know it's been awhile, but I did what you suggested. I bought a new converter, and now the car will accelerate, but here's the bad news. I have one code left. P303.
The engine still shakes, and has a low idle.
Other symptoms include an oily but off colored residue in the intake. Which I noticed when cleaning the throttle body. Which was also pretty bad off. Plus it can stall, but I assume that is part of the low idle problem.
Anyway pretty sure it's not the throttle body, and I have narrowed it down to fuel injectors, vacuum leak, head gasket, or coil pack.
Anyways can I ask for a little help one last time on the diagnosis? PS I also tried resetting the ECM, by unplugging the battery overnight, and it didn't change anything.

Thank You in advance for any advice!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 07:38 AM
Contributor

Go to AutoZone and borrow a compression gauge and do a quick compression check. Learn about RockAuto and get ready to buy a new coil pack. You can chase your tail from coast to coast on the P0303 when a quick compression test can rule out several things right away.

After the compression check, it is easy to swap the spark plug from cylinder 3 with the spark plug from one of the other cylinders and see if the misfire on cylinder 3 (P0303) moves to the cylinder you swapped plugs with. When your done, share your test data and results.

By the way, tell us more about your 2006 Cobalt.

BC
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thanks for the advice! It's funny that I had already purchased a coil pack before I read your post. Been in a few hours now, and so far so good. Come to find out I overlooked something. And I noticed it today when I was changing the coil pack.
The Air filter was not fitting correctly. So I had to change it as well as the coil pack. So far no signs of P0303 or P0171 or p2432.
Thanks for all the advice! I will be sure to ask again if anything else goes wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode