KEY Stuck...NOT THE SHIFTER - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

KEY Stuck...NOT THE SHIFTER

Greetings.
I Just bought a 06 LS for my son that's been pretty meticulously cared for. We have it home 24 hours, and the key suddenly won't come out. Pretty quickly, I find the pin under the column and am able to push the pin, and remove the key just fine. I search online and find the issue with the rod coming out of the shifter, and not activating the microswitch. The rod is in place, and the shifter looks great. manually clicking the microswitch does nothing for actuating the solenoid in the column to remove the key. I would expect to hear the solenoid in the Steering column click, but nothing. The steering wheel doesn't lock, and oddly enough the car won't remotely lock or unlock, or the truck won't release with the remote. They all did when we bought it.....24 hours ago. Has the curse begun??

I know about the recall on the shifter, but don't think that's it. I was able to jump the wires to the switch, to rule the switch out, but it still didn't work. Does this sound like a cylinder/ignition switch issue? The Battery is fully charged, and the car starts, and runs fine with no lights or errors.

I did call the dealer this morning, and all of the recalls have been done...

Trying to track down which of the wires to the microswitch is powered so I can begin chasing this problem. Thoughts?

~Travis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 11:06 PM
Newcomer

sounds like either there is no power to that microswitch under the shifter, or the solenoid to unlock the key might be dead. Get a volt meter and check the switch first as you seem to already have that appart. I am not sure if the solenoid is replaceable, but that would be a good place to start.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 02:19 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
always start by re-seating the BCM connectors. They have a tendency to corrode. Do these a couple of times and see if it helps.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode