Axle Keeper is Missing - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Axle Keeper is Missing

I have a 2007 Chevy Cobalt with an automatic transmission. My drivers side cv axle went out so I began to replace it. When removing the old cv axle the entire axle came out of the transmission. I noticed the keeper wasn't on the axle so I called a mechanic friend of mine and asked for his advice. He happened to be near my house at the time and stopped by and finished installing the cv axle. I asked him about the keeper that goes on the axle, inside the transmission. He said that " It was probably still in the transmission," After completeing the job everything was fine until a few weeks later when my speed sensor went out. I removed the old sensor and the end had a cut mark on it, similar to what it would look like it the end of the keeper would dig a groove into the sensor. This happened three times, each time the sensor had the same markings as though the keeper cut a groove into the end of it. I removed the cv axle again and there was no keeper holding it in place.I tried looking inside the axle housing to see if I could see the keeper but saw nothing. Now my car will move about 5' forward and about 5' backwards before it acts as though the transmission locks up. I can raise the front tires off the ground, start the engine and place the transmission in gear and everything seems to be working perfect but when the tires are placed back on the ground the vehicle will move only a short distance before locking up again.I think the keeper is somewhere in the axle housing or inside the transmission locking things up but where could it be and what procedures do I need to perform to locate the keeper? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode