An Overheating Engine Problem. - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Send a message via AIM to jshkohler Send a message via MSN to jshkohler Send a message via Yahoo to jshkohler
An Overheating Engine Problem.

Hello all,

My 2007 Chevy Cobalt with a 2.2L ecotec is having some problems with heat. I just had a friend replace the old Dexcool with regular antifreeze. We flushed everything out of the old Dexcool with the cleaner I picked up at the store. We ran water through the system with the cleaner 5 times and replaced the thermostat too. We filled it up with the green antifreeze and the thing still runs hot sometimes. It runs down the highway and 2 lane roads pretty cool, but when I sit in traffic or run it parked it gets up to 215 degrees or more. I don't know what to do. The fill tank is filled to the line for cold and it still is running hot. I hope someone can help me. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 02:26 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
First of all, these aluminium blocks need dexcool or you'll be replacing head gaskets or you'll have clogging. Dexcool only.

If fans 1 and 2 are coming on, all is normal. 215 isn't hot for these engines. I will find you the specs.

Normal is 89C (192F).

Here are the specifications.
The ECM commands Low Speed Fans ON under the following conditions:

• Engine coolant temperature (ECT) exceeds approximately 106C (223F).

• A/C refrigerant pressure exceeds 1 310 kPa (190 psi).

• After the vehicle is shut off, the ECT at key-off is greater than 140C (284F) and system voltage is more than 12 volts. The fans will stay on for approximately 3 minutes.

The ECM commands High Speed Fans ON under the following conditions:

• ECT reaches 110C (230F).

• A/C refrigerant pressure exceeds 1 655 kPa (240 psi).

• When certain DTCs set

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 09-02-2018 at 03:24 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Send a message via AIM to jshkohler Send a message via MSN to jshkohler Send a message via Yahoo to jshkohler
Thanks for the heads up Coby7. I found out that my Coolant Temperature Sensor went bad. I understand that the aluminum blocks need the dexcool, but with the knowledge of a friend of mine who has been a mechanic on all gasoline and diesel engines, he knows the problems that dexcool can cause.

I would rather run not run dexcool in my car because I have seen what it can do to an engine, which it can do a lot of damage if not taken care of or mixed with the wrong stuff. My mechanic, who has been working on cars since he was 16 and is now 61 years old, said it would be a good idea. If the gaskets do go bad and I he doesn't think they will. He is happy to replace them if they fail. I appreciate your feedback and hope that all goes well with your car and mine.

Sincerely, Jshkohler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode