P0010 code!!! - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

P0010 code!!!

I have a 2009 chevy cobalt with a 2.2 with 103,000 miles. I got the p0010 code the other day so i changed out the vvt intake acuator. My check engine light is still on but will go off sometimes. I know the vvt is good because i am getting 12+ ohms on my volt meter. I have looked at the connector and wiring and don’t see a problem. Does anyone else have any ideas on where to check next? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 03:39 PM
Initiate

DTC P0010 is for the intake actuator solenoid valve circuit - no other codes like p0011?
Did you change the actuator or the solenoid valve? and was it changed with a o.e. part or aftermarket

Last edited by TCSS07; 10-10-2018 at 03:41 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 09:11 AM
Initiate

I had the same issue with a 2010. PO did the same and changed the actuator with no effect. Does your car have a weird, bucking idle?

2010 LT 2.2 4 door

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 06:45 PM
Initiate

its for the solenoid valve not the actuator - change the solenoid valve with a new gm valve - just because it measured 12 ohms and within spec doesnt mean anything to me. put your meter on and grab the head of the solenoid and wiggle it - your readings will probably change.

Last edited by TCSS07; 02-27-2019 at 06:49 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 06:47 AM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCSS07 View Post
its for the solenoid valve not the actuator - change the solenoid valve with a new gm valve - just because it measured 12 ohms and within spec doesnt mean anything to me. put your meter on and grab the head of the solenoid and wiggle it - your readings will probably change.

There is actually no part that is just called "actuator" in this system, so pardon my poor terminology. The "actuator solenoid" is commonly called actuator for short, but we are talking about the same thing, unless you maybe are referring to the sprocket/phaser?

Michael, I forgot to ask if you are using the correct weight oil and a good filter and changing it regularly? I have seen some videos of these solenoids that get gummed up a bit from low quality oil. They then get sticky when hot, and don't open and close properly. The whole VVT system gets bunged up when the oil starts to sludge or debris builds up. I believe that is what I am dealing with.

Is your timing chain tight and quiet?

2010 LT 2.2 4 door
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 05:44 AM
Initiate

im a gm tech so im aware of the wording and no I meant the solenoid valve (not sprocket) and i dont call it actuator for short its solenoid for short because thats what it is a solenoid valve. the sprocket is also called actuators or cam phaser which would be actuator for short. if your also getting a p0011 then id say maybe to the sprocket since the p0011 code is for camshaft performance but the solenoid valve also controls the sprocket so unless you have access to a scanner than can control the vvt timing to see if the variance is within spec (no more than 2 degrees between actual and commanded) i dont know what to tell you unless you have a terminal pin problem/connector issue, wiring issue or ecm issue for the circuit which can happen just not a normal condition unless it was complete butchery or a animal got hungry and ate some wires or along those lines. im a stickler for using the oe solenoids and thats it no aftermarket. ive experienced nothing but issues when people come in and used bs solenoid valves from napa or where ever they get them and said i just changed it. plus some aftermarket solenoid valve's arent color coded - they are just black so its possible to mix up the locations because the connectors are different but will still reach if there not installed in the proper locations (that i have seen). so as long as your oil level is full and clean and you dont have debris clogging the screens in the valves and no wiring problems then get yourself an oe valve and re check. if you still get the issue then bring it to dealer and have them check it out. A loose timing chain will cause p0016/p0017 for timing correlation and be making noise/vehicle running shitty not for a solenoid valve control circuit fault dtc. the intake vvt portion has more sway over the timing than the exhaust does so the intake will make the car die out but i have had exhaust do it but it also set the p0013 for the exhaust solenoid but its just mainly the intake that does it. i have cars die out 4-5 times pulling it into my bay whether it be a malibu,cobalt,equinox with the good old fashion dtc p0010 intake solenoid valve control circuit to which i change the valve and ship it as long as there is oil in the car and nothings clogged which would point to a different problem all together

Last edited by TCSS07; 03-02-2019 at 08:43 AM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 08:55 AM
Initiate

Always good to see a tech on here.

Your knowledge of this subject is much more than the average joe and you deal in tech terms on the daily, but to the rest of the world the colloquial for the solenoid is actuator in this case. The generic OBD code detail lists actuator circuit, so it’s easy to see why it came to be known as such. Do a google search for cobalt vvt actuator and see what turns up. It’s not the sprocket, which GM calls cam phasers on their parts lists.

I deal with the same issues in IT. It helps to keep in mind that clients don’t deal with with this stuff on a regular basis so their vocabulary is limited. It’s literally like speaking a different language at times.

I asked about the timing chain as if it is loose, he may as well pull valve cover to inspect it and the guides, and check the condition of the oil galleries and passages. Do you think that is reasonable?

OP is MIA anyway so our convo is pretty much academic at this point.

As a tech, have you ever taken apart an ecotec phaser from a sludged engine? I am curious to see if the sludge actually makes it in to the intervals of the phaser and causes it to always stay slightly advanced.

2010 LT 2.2 4 door
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 10:26 AM
Initiate

sorry if i seemed snippy just having a off week and yes i often forget sometimes about normal people vs tech terminology so i apologize for my tone earlier. yeah generic scanners dont really do justice for the whole picture. i had a customer bring their car in a few months ago wanting a throttle position sensor on an impala 3.4l. in all my years i havent replaced one but ive done a ton of gas pedals for p2138 app sensor 1-2 correlation so i went to double check with the customer but he said he wanted the tps sensor replaced. well turns out he went to auto zone and the scanner came up with tps app something for the description - i cant fully remember but he assumed it was the tps when it was actually the app sensor so he wasnt to happy in the end but what can you do you know.

yeah it would be a reasonable thing to do given the miles of the vehicle and technically should be replaced anyhow (100,000) so yeah i agree with you on that. yeah he is lol - oh well maybe he will pop back on at a later date lol. i have not no but i can if you want me to. im actually in process of putting a equinox engine back together because it blew the rear main oil seal out because the pcv clogges due to oil consumption and then the crank case pressure gets to high and blows the seal - good job gm. im going to finish it up tomorrow and ill post a pic if i can of it because this owner did not take care of it lol

Last edited by TCSS07; 03-03-2019 at 02:52 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 04:39 PM
Initiate

No apology necessary, it happens to us all! I appreciate the opportunity to pick your brain. My 2010 2.2 runs great now after several oil changes. No MILs but if it gets over a certain temp outside, after driving a bit the idle will start to lope and it will occasionally stall. It will sometimes throw a p0010 but it doesn’t stick after a few short trips. It’s odd. Intake solenoid was replaced but I wonder if either I have a bum one or a sludge issue. Once it warms up ina month or so I’m gonna pill the cover and inspect, and if it all looks okay I’m going to get the parts to do the timing chain. If it is sludged I may just buy a new set of phasers too, and clean out the whole deal.

2010 LT 2.2 4 door
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 08:04 PM
Initiate

well you can always pull the solenoid and see if the screens are clogged again but if it isnt then yeah maybe the sprocket is acting up from time to time. try to get some internal engine flush done. we use to have this engine flush machine at work that kicked ass but my manager at the time opted to go with a different company to save a few bucks. ****ing cheap ass lol

yeah probably wouldnt be a bad idea to change them while your in there. i usually quote them in for a customer without labor since im already in there but i cant make them buy it and hopefully it doesnt go bad down the road and then they have to pay but always the choice is theirs. i however think differently - im like, im here i should and i am lol you know.

i always come back to here from time to time to check in pm me if you ever have any issues or questions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode