Some input would help a lot - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Some input would help a lot

So, over the last 3 months orso I had a interesting time with my 06 ss sc. My thermostat went,replaced that - nearing 140k miles so figured ****it I'll do a bunch of maintenance. New wheel bearing hub assemblies (timken), complete control arms, sway bar bushings, inner and outer tie rod ends, end links, struts etc. I also decide after doing a lot of browsing here,that it wouldn't be a bad idea to do the timing and balance chains. So, I do all that, I turn my car over and it is shaking like it wants to fall apart. I've got all the zzp stage 2engine and trans mounts. I went back into my timing cover and now notice a tiny bit of slack in my balance chain. After meticulous inspection, I was sent a brand new DEFECTIVE balance chain tensioner. I put (another) new one in I tested to be sure works. Put everything back together - and yes I am using all new tty bolts that call for it. Turn it over, same crazy vibration. I decide to drop my trans and check the clutch, suprised no springs flew out for how chipped and bulging the spring retainers were. So I got a little hope, thinking I may have finally foundthe problem. Get a stage 3 south bend kit from zzp as well as all the put new parts stuff (clutch line,main seal, clutch elbow etc). Turn it over same vibration. I went to test drive and check the mail a few blocks down, thinking it's beenso long since I've actually driven the car that maybe the race mounts are just throwing me off.THE VIBRATION DISAPPEARS WHEN I PUSH THE CLUTCH IN. So I'm pretty much out of steam here, on the verge of pretty much being depressed with this thing. I double checked with stock mounts and without torque dampener before all of this when the vibration started, with no change. Stage 3 zzp bolts on, zzp pcm. No check engine lights. I've changed my exhaust manifold gasket as well as the other exhaust cat back gaskets. Also ordered 1coil pack and a new harmonic balancer to rule out the packs and the pulley. About out of ideas here guys. I'm not a mechanic, I'm a fisherman by trade, and lava took my livelihood from me here in hawaii or I would've just paid a mechanic to do it. Anyway lmk fellas thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 04:05 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
When you had the valve cover off did you re-check your timing marks?

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
yes, I did the timing components at the same time to make it easier on myself. Exhaust 10 and intake 2, everything to spec. Granted, this was before I realized I had a defective balance chain tensioner. Had a friend of mine who's atleast a licensed mechanic helping me

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808slowbalt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
yes, I did the timing components at the same time to make it easier on myself. Exhaust 10 and intake 2, everything to spec. Granted, this was before I realized I had a defective balance chain tensioner. Had a friend of mine who's atleast a licensed mechanic helping me
sorry, didnt answer your question. Yes, I double checked it, I went in and out of the timing cover like 3 or 4 different times. One was because I was hoping I did something wrong, double checked everything, torqued to spec. Had to change my valve cover gasket, so like quadruple checked it was in the right position.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Any ideas?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808slowbalt View Post
Any ideas?
guess ill see if I ca get an alignment with how bad my.car is shaking, and try put a couple hundred miles on it and hope it's the engine mounts
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 07:22 PM
Initiate

the balance shafts needs to be timed also
intake balance shaft arrow at 12
exhaust balance shaft arrow at 6
crankshaft gear (double line) at 6
water pump doesn't matter

Last edited by TCSS07; 11-21-2018 at 07:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode