Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Car Not Starting After Replacing Clutch

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Skylerjm 
#1 ·
Hey guys I'm new here but I need some help. I just finished replacing the clutch in my 2010 base model cobalt. When I was buttoning everything up I believe I plug in my ecm backwards. There are 2 Identical plugs on the ecm. The way I had it at first the fan would immediately turn if the battery was plugged in even with the keys in it. I then reversed the plug around and the fan issue stopped either way the car wont start. I tried to use a code reader/scanner on it and it load to about 96% then fails. When I try to start the car the car just clicks as if I am trying to start it without the clutch in. All electric items in car seem to work properly dash stereo etc. There are some wierd readings on the dash such as the words power steering being displayed on the message area and my coolant gauge says -40 degrees (btw its +38 degree in utah right now). Does anyone have any ideas? Is my ecm bad?

#2 ·
Did you check all the fuses including the BCM one in the trunk?

#3 · (Edited)
After further research you may have made a bookend with your ECM!

The 2 connectors that you say are the same aren't. They are keyed differently and should pose a fair resistance when trying to insert them in the wrong receptacle. Although not impossible since the keys are only plastic and with enough force can be crushed. As you can see below the numbers are different and so is keying.

The second you turned the key on you applied reverse voltage to the ECM ( never a good thing ) PIN #73 of both connectors. If you were lucky you just blew the ECM voltage fuse.

Good luck with your OOPS!

#5 ·
Also a few weird things. I'm pretty sure it was very easy to reverse those plugs. Also there was a 20 amp fuse in place of the ecm fuse instead of a 15. Maybe somebody had done this before I had and jammed those plugs in reverse and then just through in any random fuse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.