Is my motor ruined?? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Is my motor ruined??

I have a 2010 Chevy Cobalt SS 2.2L, i noticed the engine starting to make a ticking noise which after doing some research I am fairly certain is from the timing chain tensioner. As I was driving to work today, my car engine would shut off while coasting (the rpms would drop right to zero, and if I stepped on the gas nothing would happen), but all the electrical systems would still run. I would pop the car into neutral and then turn it on again still while coasting. When I finally hit a red light and came to a dead stop, the engine died and would not turn on again. I can hear what sounds like the starter trying to turn over, but nothing happens other than that. I ended up getting the car towed to the mechanic, where he told me that the engine is seized from lack of lubrication, but my car recently had a oil change (6000ish kilometres ago with synthetic oil) and the dip stick still reads a good fill level. I am strapped for cash at the moment and don’t feel like shelling out thousands of dollars to replace the motor, because I am pretty sure the mechanic I went to is wrong, and it’s the timing chain and tensioner that need to be replaced. I am just curious if anyone on this forum can give me some insight if it is even worth tackling replacing the timing chain and tensioner, or if the engine is guaranteed to have suffered catastrophic damage from the timing chain/tensioner failing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 08:51 AM
Initiate

Mechanics are guessing most of the time. Unless he has your engine apart and shows you where it seized, take his diagnosis with caution.

If the tensioner failed, and the chain jumped time, you could have damaged your valves and pistons. That would lead to the starter having an easy time turning over the engine because you would have terrible compression. Do a leakdown test and see what happens.

2010 LT 2.2 4 door
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thats what I figured, the mechanic just gave me his best guess. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is a leak down test? lol

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 07:33 PM
Forum Regular

A leakdown test is performed 1 cylinder at a time and its a test to see if theres any leakage anywhere within the engine. The proper way is to remove the cams so you know for a fact that all the valves are closed/sealed system and then you see if air is leaking anywhere pasts the valves or past the pistons or you can check one cylinder at a time by hooking the gauge up and rotate the engine by hand and the gauge should indicate whether its leaking or sealing

if the engine cranks over its not seized. how many miles do you have? how does it sound when it cranks? is it strong like it wants to start or is it fast and sound like no compression? the chain tensioner failing could definitely cause engine damage depending on when it fails - smack valves and what not but usually wouldn't require a new engine but you would need a new valve train at the very min

Last edited by TCSS07; 02-27-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode