Losing Coolant - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

Losing Coolant

2008 Cobalt, 341xxx km

losing coolant, but i'm not sure where

i've topped the coolant up exactly two times in owning this car for more than six years, both times in the last 12 months

i noticed it looked low the other day so i filled it back up to the full mark on the overflow (still had the coolant in the trunk), and now it's low again.

i did a fairly thorough once over at all the coolant hoses, the rad, and really anything and everything in the engine bay that looked remotely like a coolant line (have a valvecover leak, but that's not really overly concerning at the moment)

no obvious signs of leakage

pulled the plugs to see what they looked like; all good there, no signs of coolant there either

checked the dipstick/fill point on the valvecover; no signs of milkshake

any ideas? no change in mileage or performance, no white smoke, no sweet smell of antifreeze in the interior from the heater core or anything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 05:08 PM
Forum Regular

Remove the large plastic cover on the engine now from The fill tank is a rubber hose and then a steel tube across the front of the engine mine was rubbing on something and a small hole leaked that was not dripping but still leaking when hot

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 05:13 PM
Initiate

radiator,water pump,heater core or head gasket if you don't see any external hose leaks. pressure test it and let it sit overnight and or let it get hot and use a a head gasket checker

Last edited by TCSS07; 02-27-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode