09 Chevy Colbolt oil just vanishing - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

09 Chevy Colbolt oil just vanishing

I have a 09 Chevy colbolt I found out about a possible oil leak.. checked up the car and all around the engine, not a single oil spot to be seen. So I filled it back up 5 quarts of oil. We drove this car for a good month checking oil everyday before we took off with not a leak to be noticed. Then a few days ago I came in from work (I drove another vehicle) and check the cars oil and it was full. My wife hopped in and went to work.. by the time she got back it was bone dry like if someone was to drain it while she was parked... this has happened 3 diffrent times within the 5 months we have owned this car.. there is no smoke coming out the pipe, no visible oil leak to be seen. And there is no oil in the cooling system, where can the oil be going? It’s got 101k miles on it and the oil has been changed every 3k miles.. iv exhausted every possible solution and can’t find anyone on the internet with a problem like this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 08:03 PM
Initiate

If there are no external leaks anywhere to explain the amount of oil loss then id suspect it to be internal either blowing by the pistons rings or valve seals and burning it
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 07:26 AM
Initiate

If its burning that much you can check the plugs. They should be fouled. Pull the plastic intake and see if it has significant oil in it.

Are you checking the oil in the same way every time? level ground, engine off long enough for oil to drain back to pan, etc? How much did you add after you noticed it was empty? It runs fine the whole time?

2010 LT 2.2 4 door

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Yea I check it on level ground I have checked for leaks 2 diffrent ways. 1 being a cool engine on level ground and the other being at operating temp.. I would think if there was blowby though the pistons or what ever there would be smoke out the tail pipe and that’s not the case. Also when the engine is full on oil there is no miss or anything it runs like a top. Leaving me to believe I have no fouled plugs.. as far as noticing how much was gone before I added. I. Literally got in from work at 6am and checked the engine for oil as I do everyday. I went to bed and my wife got up at 11:30 and went to her cleaning business. And cleaned houses from 11:30 to 3:00pm when she got home I ate and got ready and went to head back to work at 5pm at which point I rechecked the engine for oil and there was none. This has happened a few times
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 05:43 PM
Initiate

well the oil has to be going somewhere and you dont necessary need to have smoke to have your vehicle burn oil. gm had a bad batch of ecotec engines from 2010 to early 2014 2.4 laf,lea engine codes with oil consumption that doesnt smoke. the 2013-2015 malibus that came with the 2.4l ecotec/hybrid engine does the same thing - burn oil altho gm didnt make a coverage for that engine for some reason and it seems to be only engines that are direct injection. having a cobalt burn oil would be odd but nothings unlikely depending on how well maintenance was kept up. white smoke is blown cylinder or running rich as hell like a stuck injector but youd also get a misfire issue. blue smoke would be for oil burning. i dont really know what to say besides if you dont have any external oil leaks/leaking on the ground or something then all thats left is internal. rub your finger around the exhaust tip to see if there is any oil residue. you can also get yourself a ac dye kit with the uv glasses and light if you dont have one and put some oil dye in and drive the car for a day as normal and have a look around and maybe pull the plugs and see if you get any dye inside the cylinders if you can get a little camera down in there

Last edited by TCSS07; 03-08-2019 at 05:52 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCSS07 View Post
well the oil has to be going somewhere and you dont necessary need to have smoke to have your vehicle burn oil. gm had a bad batch of ecotec engines from 2010 to early 2014 2.4 laf,lea engine codes with oil consumption that doesnt smoke. the 2013-2015 malibus that came with the 2.4l ecotec/hybrid engine does the same thing - burn oil altho gm didnt make a coverage for that engine for some reason and it seems to be only engines that are direct injection. having a cobalt burn oil would be odd but nothings unlikely depending on how well maintenance was kept up. white smoke is blown cylinder or running rich as hell like a stuck injector but youd also get a misfire issue. blue smoke would be for oil burning. i dont really know what to say besides if you dont have any external oil leaks/leaking on the ground or something then all thats left is internal. rub your finger around the exhaust tip to see if there is any oil residue. you can also get yourself a ac dye kit with the uv glasses and light if you dont have one and put some oil dye in and drive the car for a day as normal and have a look around and maybe pull the plugs and see if you get any dye inside the cylinders if you can get a little camera down in there
I will try this. See I always thought to burn oil it had to smoke thanks
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 06:41 AM
Initiate

any update?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 01:30 PM
Initiate

Wife's Camry 2.4 burns a ton of oil an doesn't smoke a bit.

2010 LT 2.2 4 door
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 03:52 PM
Newcomer

mine has the same problem it does not leak, but it does lose oil it turns out its the gasket on the oil pan it doe not leak when it's parked only when it's running.

helloo....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode