05 Cobalt 2.2 Valve Ping Noise when Cold - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

05 Cobalt 2.2 Valve Ping Noise when Cold

Hi Folks. I'm new to the Cobalt forum. I just acquired a 2005 Chevy Cobalt LS 2.2 with 144K miles. The previous owner did not care about the car and it was 2qts low on oil when I got it. I changed the oil/filter and put in fresh 5w30 synthetic. When the car sits for a while and I start it, there is what sounds like a valve ping on the LS (facing engine from front of car) of the valve cover. It goes away after a few minutes idling. I've read through many posts about a knocking noise from down under, but that doesn't seem to apply... yet.

I'm going to monitor it to see if it gets worse, but would like to stick an oil pressure gauge under the hood to monitor things.

Is there an easy access plug someplace other than under the intake manifold? I see what looks like a plug on the drivers side of the head... can I plug a gauge in there?

Also... is there an accelerator cable/linkage someplace under the hood so I can rev it while under the hood?

I don't know much about these engines yet.... I'll need to find a decent service manual.

Thank you for any replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Found the accelerator cable linkage answer after pulling off the Intake plenum. Drive by wire :-(

The plug I was referring to is pictured below/attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05CobaltLSHead.JPG (2).jpg
Views:	16
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	8638  
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 01:28 PM
Contributor

TonyD,
There is an oil pressure sending unit with its matching connector down by where the dip stick enters the engine block, around where the oil filter cap is. You may need to pull the intake plenum by disconnecting it from the air filter, throttle body, and valve cover.
WARNING. The plastic nipple on the plenum for the valve cover is very easy to break off.

BC

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

I finally took the car to a mechanic. He found an exhaust leak near the number one cylinder. Replaced the Exhaust manifold gasket and all is quiet now. No more pinging noise when it starts up. The O2 sensor code is still there and the airbag light is still on.... but that's for another time when the inspection is due.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode