Timing chain and low compression - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Timing chain and low compression

Hey guys I have some experience with rebuilding Jeep engines and I want a cobalt as a daily driver, but it needs work. First of all, it's a 07 LT 4d I think for $500 and needs a new timing chain and has low compression in 2 cylinders and it's been sitting for about 2 or 3 years. Is that a decent price? Now for the actual questions: how hard is a timing chain to replace in the 2.2L engine? Does it require taking the engine out? I dont want to get it if it's going to be too much of a hassle to fix. Also, it has low compression in 2 cylinders which I heard could be because of the timing chain that jumped a little bit and/or is loose. Should that be a concern? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 08:43 AM
Prospect

It's very simple, you will found the timing chain kit for less then 100$ on a bay, no specials tool needed exept a torque wrench, you can reuse the side carter gasket but you need a new head cover gasket.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericvmax View Post
It's very simple, you will found the timing chain kit for less then 100$ on a bay, no specials tool needed exept a torque wrench, you can reuse the side carter gasket but you need a new head cover gasket.
Awesome thanks for the reply. So the engine doesnt need to be removed? My dad got a Toyota matrix that needed the engine removed to replace the timing chain so I dont wanna go through all that anymore.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 05:56 AM
Prospect

You are supposed to discard the old crank and sproket bolt but when I do it I kept the old ones because it was not include in my kit.

---------- Post added at 03:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 AM ----------

Sitting for 2 or 3 years is may be the reason why you have low compression on 2 cylinders, Try an another test after driving a few hundred kilometers.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 06:49 AM
Initiate

Timing chain itself is fairly easy, just take your time and ensure all is lined up before things go back together.

Your big issue with this project, if you have low compression in 2 cylinders coupled with a timing chain issue, you likely have bent valves as well. You can check this by looking at the rockers when the valve cover is off. If you can wiggle or remove them by hand when that cylinder is at TDC, the valve is toast. The head will need to come off for rebuild/replacement.

2010 LT 2.2 4 door
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode