Seatbelts Locked (car Was in a Wreck) - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2019, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Seatbelts Locked (car Was in a Wreck)

First post here! I'm about to obtain an '09 Cobalt LT sedan tomorrow from a family member and the car has been in an accident which has caused the seatbelts to lock up in it's normal position. When I say locked up, I mean you cannot pull the seatbelt out a single inch. I've heard something about having to send something off to be flashed by a dealership but costs a couple hundred dollars in order to fix it. I'm not too entirely sure and was hoping someone here could enlighten me. Some computer that once it senses a wreck it triggers a code or something and will re-set until it's been reflashed. Not too sure.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2019, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Three different things happen in an accident. Or I should say 3 different stages of collision.

First stage in a frontal impact is " Seat belt retractor depolyed for occupant. Which means if driver only in the car only driver seat belt pre-tensioner will be deployed and to conquer if passenger is detected in the vehicle it would also be deployed. But not necessarily airbags.

2nd stage is driver pretensioner and airbag if lone occupant.
3rd is the big party all pretionners deployed and all airbags.

If only the seatbelt pre-tensioners were deployed then you will need new seat belts and you will need to get the SRS module reflashed. $200 to me is a high price if you are talking USd should be around $100 with shipping. Be careful some states do not allow re-flash and you will need a new module.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 05-17-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
Three different things happen in an accident. Or I should 3 different stages of collision.

First stage in a frontal impact is " Seat belt retractor depolyed for occupant. Which means if driver only in the car only driver seat belt pre-tensioner will be deployed and to conquer if passenger is detected in the vehicle it would also be deployed. But not necessarily airbags.

2nd stage is driver pretensioner and airbag if lone occupant.
3rd is the big party all pretionners deployed and all airbags.

If only the seatbelt pre-tensioners were deployed then you will need new seat belts and you will need to get the SRS module reflashed. $200 to me is a high price if you are talking USd should be around $100 with shipping. Be careful some states do not allow re-flash and you will need a new module.
Anywhere you recommend a new module or having the SRS module reflashed?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/08-09-10-CH...wAAOSw2zRcLjtw Seems like $50 for an OEM one (didn't look very deep.) Are modules interchangeable without any hassle?

Last edited by Serfma; 05-16-2019 at 06:12 PM.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:20 AM
Newcomer

I wouldn't recommend trying to "fix" a locked up seatbelt after an accident. For peace of mind, I would just purchase a new OEM seatbelt. https://www.gmpartsprime.com/ has OEM GM seatbelts at really cheap prices. I like buying from them because their prices are cheaper than at the dealer.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:56 AM
Prospect

https://www.safetyrestore.com/seat-b...lt-repair.html

"Don't just drive CRUZE!" ༼∵༽ ༼⍨༽ ༼⍢༽ ༼⍤༽

2007 Chevy Cobalt LT Summit White

2014 Chevy Cruze LT auto (Pedestal Spoiler, Tinted Windows, Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Diode Dynamics XP50 Reverse Lights, splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals w/amber Diode Dynamics LEDs, Eibach Pro-kit, Bilstein Sport Struts, UR Rear upper Strut Bar, UR Front Upper Strut Bar) MOTM JAN17 AUG17
Old 06-03-2019, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Facepalm moment. Did not need to replace SRS/SDM/Airbag module. Only the seatbelts were the issue which I fixed. Only after that did I realize the red light, aka seatbelt light on the dash, went away and that it was not the airbag light. Just saw red, didn't pay too much attention. Everything's golden now. Thanks guys :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement