Speedometer Backlight Out - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Speedometer Backlight Out

The speedometer backlight on my 2007 Cobalt LT is out. The fuel and tach gauges are still backlit, just not the speedometer. I don't think it is a fuse problem, because it would be the whole cluster that would be dark, correct? Did some quick Googling on speedometer-specific light problems, with no success. Hoping someone here has seen this before. Are the bulbs in behind the cluster easy enough to replace myself? I see a couple screws around the cluster that I almost took off yesterday to start poking around... I just don't want to get in too deep before knowing what kind of trouble I can potentially get into!

Don't know if this is related or not, but I also noticed recently that the driver side half of the trunk brake light does not light up. Passenger side is fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:04 PM
Newcomer

I have a 2010 Cobalt and am experiencing almost exact same issue. My tail lights also don't work nor do the little marker lights on the bottom of the tail light assembly. Replaced all bulbs with new and still no tail lights. Brakes and turn indicators work fine. The PRK Lamp fuse blows (10A) every time I turn on the headlights.

Did you resolve your issues?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles H Lewis View Post
I have a 2010 Cobalt and am experiencing almost exact same issue. My tail lights also don't work nor do the little marker lights on the bottom of the tail light assembly. Replaced all bulbs with new and still no tail lights. Brakes and turn indicators work fine. The PRK Lamp fuse blows (10A) every time I turn on the headlights.

Did you resolve your issues?
No, haven't tried to tackle the cluster light yet. I found a YouTube vid on replacing the trunk light bar bulbs. Very easy. I have a week off work coming up where I plan to open up the cluster to get at the speedometer back light. I'll let you know if I have any success.

I don't know about your issue. Sounds like a short circuit or crossed wire somewhere. I am definitely not the right person to give electrical advice, though!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 11:27 AM
Forum Regular

The gauge cluster uses LED bulbs, I am almost positive about that. This would be the first time I’ve heard of a bulb failure in the cobalt gauge cluster, it’s possible you have a faulty gauge cluster or a burnt out bulb. You can send it out for repair, there is a whole cottage industry that repairs GM gauge clusters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
backlight , cluster , dash , speedometer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode