Should My Car Have a Cooling Fan? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Engine cooling fan not running?

Howdy,

Summer finally arrived here in WI and I noticed yesterday that when I'm driving, my car temp shows the mid-upper 190s which seems normal. However, when I stop, the temp climbs up to the 210 range. Once I start driving again, it comes back down to the normal area. I'm guessing that there's no fan that's blowing air to keep things cool. I'm assuming there's a fan somewhere but that maybe it's not running?

If anyone can direct me as to where the fan is (assuming there is one) and how to test it, that'd be great.

Thanks.

Last edited by kelemvor; 07-02-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 04:24 PM
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelemvor View Post
Howdy,

Summer finally arrived here in WI and I noticed yesterday that when I'm driving, my car temp shows the mid-upper 190s which seems normal. However, when I stop, the temp climbs up to the 210 range. Once I start driving again, it comes back down to the normal area. I'm guessing that there's no fan that's blowing air to keep things cool. I'm assuming there's a fan somewhere but that maybe it's not running?

If anyone can direct me as to where the fan is (assuming there is one) and how to test it, that'd be great.

Thanks.
When i had my 2010 cobalt with 58k miles on it. it wouldnt get any hotter than 212 waiting in line at a drive thru in midwest summer heat. cooiling fan should be behind the radiator. Its a black plastic mount with black plastic fan. you should be able to see and hear it running when its on. I forgot what temp it would kick on at. I think it was 190 or 200. With ur car dead cold start it up and take note of what it sounds like. then around 190 to 210 degrees. open up ur hood. listen and look for the difference. with ur fan running you'll hear a loud wooshing sound. But since u said it drops after 210. Your fan and thermostat are working fine. 200-220 degrees is the normal operating temp of most cars
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 06:12 PM
Contributor

My highest was 235 degrees climbing hills at WOT at 80 MPH out of Arizona on our way to the Grand Canyon. Watched the temperature like a hawk. There was 4 of us in the car and my weight was in the mid-300s at the time. I think 240 degrees is when the overheat warning comes on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode