2008 Cobalt with P0016 Code. - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

2008 Cobalt with P0016 Code.

Hi - My 2008 Cobalt LT with 2.2L L4 is pulling a P0016 Crankshaft position/camshaft position code. (Approx 137K miles)

I replaced the Camshaft Position Sensor with ACDelco #213-1690, cleaned the sensor socket and changed the oil. It's still throwing the code.

Any ideas? Could it be a ground issue? if so, any recommendations on where to look for the bad ground?

I can't get a Mass Inspections with the CEL.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 11:24 AM
Forum Regular

You might have an issue with the crankshaft sensor, not the camshaft sensor.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 06:04 PM
Newcomer

I had the same code and it was the VVT Valve I changed both intake and exhaust took 10 minutes and it cleared my code. Before you bring it back for inspection you need to do a few drive cycles to reset the computer. I hope this helps.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 04:52 PM
Forum Regular

So I just reread your initial post. Your code is for a camshaft position sensor not a crankshaft position sensor like you first stated. With that being said I now retract my first response regarding a possible bad crankshaft sensor.

Since yours is a 2008 2.2L you should have the L61 engine, which does not have VVT and therefore no intake/exhaust valve solenoids like on the 2009+ LAP engine. If you haven’t fixed your issue yet there is a strong possibility that your timing chain assembly needs to be replaced. The components can be worn out causing the timing to be slightly off.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 07:14 PM
Forum Regular

stower17 - yes sir. you are correct. i bet it was probably making some noise prior to dtc issue
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Thanks everyone. It was making a tinny noise awhile back from the timing chain area. How big of a job is it to have the timing chain assembly serviced? Could it be just a tensioner?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Hi - My mechanic confirmed that the timing assembly is fine. He believes that the engine wiring harness is shorting or worn and causing the false readings. Local dealers no longer stock this part. He is trying to find one from a salvage yard but not having any luck. I would like to assist in the search however, it's not clear to me what is the exact part number. The VIN is 1G1AL58FX87133264 . It's a 2008 Cobalt LT1 Sedan; 4 door, Transmission: 4 speed Automatic Overdrive, Engine: 2.2L L4 MFI DOHC 16V.

Can someone please confirm the correct part number? On ebay, I see a number of 6 digit parts number (all different). When I look up on a GM digram I see a long part number. Is the engine harness interchangeable across various model year with the same engine?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
p0016

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode