Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

2008 Cobalt with P0016 Code.

Tags
p0016
14K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  rsmiele 
#1 ·
Hi - My 2008 Cobalt LT with 2.2L L4 is pulling a P0016 Crankshaft position/camshaft position code. (Approx 137K miles)

I replaced the Camshaft Position Sensor with ACDelco #213-1690, cleaned the sensor socket and changed the oil. It's still throwing the code.

Any ideas? Could it be a ground issue? if so, any recommendations on where to look for the bad ground?

I can't get a Mass Inspections with the CEL.

Thanks.

#4 ·
So I just reread your initial post. Your code is for a camshaft position sensor not a crankshaft position sensor like you first stated. With that being said I now retract my first response regarding a possible bad crankshaft sensor.

Since yours is a 2008 2.2L you should have the L61 engine, which does not have VVT and therefore no intake/exhaust valve solenoids like on the 2009+ LAP engine. If you haven’t fixed your issue yet there is a strong possibility that your timing chain assembly needs to be replaced. The components can be worn out causing the timing to be slightly off.

#7 ·
Hi - My mechanic confirmed that the timing assembly is fine. He believes that the engine wiring harness is shorting or worn and causing the false readings. Local dealers no longer stock this part. He is trying to find one from a salvage yard but not having any luck. I would like to assist in the search however, it's not clear to me what is the exact part number. The VIN is 1G1AL58FX87133264 . It's a 2008 Cobalt LT1 Sedan; 4 door, Transmission: 4 speed Automatic Overdrive, Engine: 2.2L L4 MFI DOHC 16V.

Can someone please confirm the correct part number? On ebay, I see a number of 6 digit parts number (all different). When I look up on a GM digram I see a long part number. Is the engine harness interchangeable across various model year with the same engine?

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.